Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Ivan Frade Ortea <Iv...@fundacionctic.org> on 2005/08/22 10:28:53 UTC

Store index in database

Hello,

 I'm working in a big j2ee application with some documents (5000 aprox.) in a database. Now i'm indexing it without any problem using lucene with FSDirectory. But the use of files in j2ee app is not a "good-design" choice. So i was thinking in store index in database (using JDBCDirectory, for instance) but i cannot find references to this approach online, seems that nobody use it.

 Is there any "so-easy-that-i-cannot-perceive" question to avoid this approach? could be a performance problem? Have anybody an idea of performance using database instead of filesystem to store the index?

 Thank you in advanced.

Iván Frade.

Re: Store index in database

Posted by Chris Lu <ch...@gmail.com>.
1. storing index in database will definitely slow down the search,
using JDBCDirectory only.
2. You can try to read the index from database into RAMDirectory

What do you mean by "good-design"? You dislike filesystem? :)
I guess you don't want to have several copies of index when your
system grows. In that case, you can have one server dedicated for
indexing and searching.

This is what DBSight is doing.
--
Chris Lu