Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Eric Brunner-Williams <br...@nic-naa.net> on 2006/03/28 19:37:25 UTC

[users@httpd] High Load for 2.0.55 on FreeBSD with the usual bells and whistles

FWIW ...

I just got through a scheduled /. -- (the Koufax awards for best liberal
blogs).

The following:
Movable Type 3.2 (a perl-based app with a trivial amount of php)

Running on: Apache/2.0.55 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.0.55 OpenSSL/0.9.7e-p1 PHP/5.0.5

Running on 6.1-PRERELEASE

Running on a 2-way Pentium III (996.85-MHz 686-class CPU)

Ran w/o crash or disfunction (other than POST timeouts) with over 70 instances
of perl v5.8.8 and httpd, with a load average in the mid-60s.

We don't normally see that kind of load, though we had an LA of 100+ when
we were subject to a large-scale distributed ad insertion campaign (hundreds
of attack hosts), and the then-bogus MT anti-spam non-solution, that put the
host into way-too-many-perl instances, all attempting to figure out if "Eat
at Joe's" was a comment or comment-spam.

Now that that's over I can think about Apache/2.2.0.

Eric