Posted to general@hadoop.apache.org by Brian Bockelman <bb...@cse.unl.edu> on 2011/11/01 13:07:35 UTC

Naming of hadoop-0.23.0 release?

Hi Arun,

(Changed the subject line, as I seem to recall that we are not supposed to have discussion in a voting thread)

Dumb question perhaps, but why call it "0.23.0" instead of "0.23.0-alpha1" if it is distinctly alpha quality?

I've seen lots of folks on the support list who are obviously in over their head because they started with the latest release posted on the webpage, regardless of whether the project considered it a stable release.  By adding "-alpha1", it's still available to upstream projects but ought to scare away the inexperienced.

Thanks,

Brian

Re: Naming of hadoop-0.23.0 release?

Posted by Arun C Murthy <ac...@hortonworks.com>.