Posted to dev@allura.apache.org by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net> on 2015/10/12 22:29:07 UTC

Removing tool icons from nav bar?

tl;dr  Should we remove the tool icons from the project nav bar?

I've been working with Heith on
https://forge-allura.apache.org/p/allura/tickets/7920/ (and 7919) for a quick
easy way to edit tools via the toolbar.  How the tools icons show up during edit
mode is one aspect of that.  It might be easier to just remove them.

I don't have a real strong opinion on keeping or removing the icons.  I think
they do provide some value, but are inconsistent, dated, and limited (e.g. no
icon for Activity so we just use the "gears" icon).  If we remove them, Allura
would look a little bit more modern.  But then you start to realize how much
boring gray we have covering the whole page.  If we did remove them, I'd suggest
a small delimiter between them not unlike the SourceForge theme of Allura
(example: https://sourceforge.net/p/coils/news/)

We also show tool icons on the Tool Admin page (which we'll probably remove
after the toolbar admin mode is done) and the Add Project page.

Thoughts, pros, cons?

--
Dave Brondsema : dave@brondsema.net
http://www.brondsema.net : personal

Re: Removing tool icons from nav bar?

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.
Here's a quick sample of how it could look:
http://content.screencast.com/users/brondsem/folders/Jing/media/f7475b34-69d7-47b9-aadb-9f9d59d620f2/00000009.png
 Still would need some work to make it good (if we did want to do it).

Posted by Dave Brondsema <da...@brondsema.net>.

Posted by Igor Bondarenko <je...@gmail.com>.

Posted by heith seewald <he...@gmail.com>.