Posted to docs@httpd.apache.org by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com> on 2005/10/30 23:05:02 UTC

Documentation TODOs for 2.2

I'm just looking at docs/2.1 and noting some existing pages that definitely
need updating.  No reference to pages that need writing, or to non-English
versions of anything.  I might tackle some of these myself, but no promises.

*** = really important, ** = should do, * = would be nice

** install.html  -  I think it needs at least some discussion of --with-foo,
for external and bundled packages (especially APR).  Should also have
a *strong* recommendation of never ever build without mod_so unless
you know exactly what you're doing.

* mpm.html - Say something about the implications of choice

*** filter.html - wants substantial rewrite.  The page as-is needs more
than just updating; perhaps it should be dropped and replaced by a
filter page in /howto/ ?

Users Guide - ignoring

** howto/auth.html - probably wants something more about the
subtleties of the Require directive and authz hacks.  And it should
make it clear that the Related modules and directives list is very
incomplete.

* howto/cgi.html - should describe the "Action" directive, and
should perhaps mention alternative CGI implementations.

** howto/htaccess.html - IMO the "Related Modules/Ditrectives"
is at best misleading here; AccessFileName, AllowOverride and
possibly Options are the only directives that should get a mention;
including AAA directives merely reinforces the ".htaccess is about
access control" misconception.
And perhaps put the performance warning prominently at the top?

OK, I'm ignoring Platform notes (I know nothing about non-unix)
and Other Topics (too big a subject for this post).

--
Nick Kew

Re: Documentation TODOs for 2.2

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Documentation TODOs for 2.2

Posted by Rich Bowen <rb...@rcbowen.com>.

Re: Documentation TODOs for 2.2

Posted by Nick Kew <ni...@webthing.com>.
On Saturday 05 November 2005 19:04, Joshua Slive wrote:
> Sander Temme wrote:
> > I just upgraded www.apache.org to 2.1.9, and the main holdup was the
> > authn/authz modules... I'd put three stars *** next to some
> > documentation on upgrading a given 2.0 AAA configuration to its 2.2
> > equivalent.

Agreed, that wants updating.  Did I already say it wants more clarity (or
maybe emphasis) about htaccess?  There are still folks on IRC saying
things like "it said htaccess in the docs".

> This file has been largely abandoned, but I will not that its existence
> anyway, in case someone wants to update it:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/STATUS

Which file is that?  We need to have authn properly documented,
and the current howto is out of date in important details.

I'm inclined to call that and the filter page showstoppers, the
others nice-to-haves.  Anyone flog me a round tuit on ebay?

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
Sander Temme wrote:

> On Oct 30, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Nick Kew wrote:
>

>> I'm just looking at docs/2.1 and noting some existing pages that
>> definitely
>> need updating.  No reference to pages that need writing, or to non-
>> English
>> versions of anything.  I might tackle some of these myself, but no
>> promises.
>>
>> *** = really important, ** = should do, * = would be nice
>>

> I just upgraded www.apache.org to 2.1.9, and the main holdup was the
> authn/authz modules... I'd put three stars *** next to some
> documentation on upgrading a given 2.0 AAA configuration to its 2.2
> equivalent.

This file has been largely abandoned, but I will not that its existence
anyway, in case someone wants to update it:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/httpd/httpd/trunk/docs/STATUS

Joshua.

Re: Documentation TODOs for 2.2

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.

Posted by Sander Temme <sc...@apache.org>.
On Oct 30, 2005, at 2:05 PM, Nick Kew wrote:

> I'm just looking at docs/2.1 and noting some existing pages that
> definitely
> need updating.  No reference to pages that need writing, or to non-
> English
> versions of anything.  I might tackle some of these myself, but no
> promises.
>
> *** = really important, ** = should do, * = would be nice

I just upgraded www.apache.org to 2.1.9, and the main holdup was the
authn/authz modules... I'd put three stars *** next to some
documentation on upgrading a given 2.0 AAA configuration to its 2.2
equivalent.

S.