Posted to user@velocity.apache.org by Jing Chen <ji...@marketderby.com> on 2002/06/10 07:51:25 UTC

OutofMemory Problem

hi there,

when i use velocity instead of webmacro, i have  the problem of OutOfMemory
Exception and my machine dies. When i was using webmacro before, there was
no such problems. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Thanks
Jing

RE: OutofMemory Problem

Posted by Will Glass-Husain <wg...@forio.com>.
Hi,

We've had this problem too.  This wasn't a Velocity problem but had to do
with the configuration of the app server.

You need to allocate more memory to the Java process started by the app
server.  Java allocates 64 MB max heap size.  We increased this in our app
server configuration and never got this error again.  The trick is to add
the following to the Java command line.
   -Xmx156M

where 156 indicates that there is a max heap allocation of 156 MB.  The 156
is arbitrary-- experiment with different values.  You can see how much
memory the "Java" process is using with "top" in LINUX (hit 'm' to sort by
memory usage) or the Task manager in Windows.

Different app servers have different ways of configuring the Java command
line. With Tomcat 4.0 you can set this by setting the following environment
variable.
   set CATALINA_OPTS=-Xmx156M

More info...
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4/docs/tooldocs/windows/java.html

(search for "-Xmx")

Best, WILL

Re: mutiple struts-config.xml

Posted by Gabriel Sidler <si...@teamup.com>.
This question is better asked on struts-user@jakarta.apache.org.

The upcoming, not yet released version 1.1 of Struts supports
the concept of sub-application, each with its own struts-config.xml
file. The current release 1.0 does not.

Gabe

Jing Chen wrote:

> HI there,
>
> i have devided struts-config.xml in my project into several xml files, i
> don't know whether struts supports this and which version does.
>
> thanks

> .

Gabriel Sidler
Software Engineer, Eivycom GmbH, Zurich, Switzerland

mutiple struts-config.xml

Posted by Jing Chen <ji...@marketderby.com>.
HI there,

Re: OutofMemory Problem

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@adeptra.com>.
On 6/10/02 1:51 AM, "Jing Chen" <ji...@marketderby.com> wrote:

> hi there,
>
> when i use velocity instead of webmacro, i have  the problem of OutOfMemory
> Exception and my machine dies. When i was using webmacro before, there was
> no such problems. Does anyone know how to solve this problem?

Never saw that myself - what kind of application?  Any info you can give us
will help.

--
Geir Magnusson Jr.
Research & Development, Adeptra Inc.