Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by kayamboosuresh <ka...@dgic.co.jp> on 2002/07/03 09:23:49 UTC

Problem displaying Japanese in JSP with Tomcat

Hi Alec
While I was searching the net to solve my problem I saw your discussions
with Apache
I do have the same problem

Actually I am using the JSP model 2 architecture with a control servlet and
view jsps.

I am doing validation using beans

My problem is my Jsp page contains japanese stuff and I am using the <%@page
contentType ="text/html;charset=Shift_JIS" % >
at the beginning of my Jsp page and so all my japanese stuff is displayed
without any problem

But I am using a bean to validate the inputs and all the errors are stored
in a hash table. The error messages are also japanese.
In case of any input errors the same page is displayed with the error
messages.
This also works fine with the japanese stuff being displayed

The real problem is while I am emptying all the text boxes, select and text
areas with the input errors, I want to display the remaining stuff that are
entered by the user and have no errors in the appropriate fields just to
avoid retyping the entire things once again. But here I get junk for all the
japanese characters and english works pretty good.

If I try to use response.setContentType("text/html;Shift_JIS") then there is
no junk with the response japanese characters but the japanese characters
that are embedded inside the JSP page goes junk

If you had experienced the same problem and have rectified kindly give me
some tips

I am using Tomcat 4.0.3

Regards