Posted to general@jakarta.apache.org by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> on 2005/06/23 23:29:54 UTC

mailing lists for components [WAS Re: [PROPOSAL] subproject that's a home for bricks reusable in java web applications]

On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 14:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:

> 4.1 in the guidelines repeats the error that I thought was fixed in the
> j-c guidelines saying that each package has its own mailing list.  If
> that is intentional, I think that is a *bad* idea, especially to start.

it was intentional in as much as it was a copy of the jakarta commons
charter :)

> Don't like the many little lists implied by 11 -- dev + user works fine
> in j-c (I know some disagree, but I personally view this as the key to
> the health of j-c)

i agree. just dev and user lists.

in jakarta commons, the common mailing lists hold together the single
community. i'd like to see just one mailing list with components using
prefixing (as per jakarta commons). i'd like to see changes to the draft
so that it's clear that this will be the arrangement.

opinions?

- robert

Posted by Rahul Akolkar <ra...@gmail.com>.
On 6/23/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 14:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
>
> > 4.1 in the guidelines repeats the error that I thought was fixed in the
> > j-c guidelines saying that each package has its own mailing list.  If
> > that is intentional, I think that is a *bad* idea, especially to start.
>
> it was intentional in as much as it was a copy of the jakarta commons
> charter :)
>
> > Don't like the many little lists implied by 11 -- dev + user works fine
> > in j-c (I know some disagree, but I personally view this as the key to
> > the health of j-c)
>
> i agree. just dev and user lists.
>
> in jakarta commons, the common mailing lists hold together the single
> community. i'd like to see just one mailing list with components using
> prefixing (as per jakarta commons). i'd like to see changes to the draft
> so that it's clear that this will be the arrangement.
>
> opinions?

+1 (non-binding)

In conjunction to the points stated above, I see this as the key value
add to the Taglibs community (if Taglibs indeed decides to join in).
In my opinion, separate mailing lists will make this a harder sell to
Taglibs.

-Rahul

Posted by Felipe Leme <ja...@felipeal.net>.
Martin Cooper wrote:

> +1 to just one dev and one user list, shared for all components, a la
> Jakarta Commons.

Me too...

Posted by robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk>.
On Sat, 2005-07-02 at 14:33 -0400, Martin Cooper wrote:
> On 6/23/05, robert burrell donkin <ro...@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 2005-06-22 at 14:40 -0700, Phil Steitz wrote:
> >
> > > 4.1 in the guidelines repeats the error that I thought was fixed in the
> > > j-c guidelines saying that each package has its own mailing list.  If
> > > that is intentional, I think that is a *bad* idea, especially to start.
> >
> > it was intentional in as much as it was a copy of the jakarta commons
> > charter :)
> >
> > > Don't like the many little lists implied by 11 -- dev + user works fine
> > > in j-c (I know some disagree, but I personally view this as the key to
> > > the health of j-c)
> >
> > i agree. just dev and user lists.
> >
> > in jakarta commons, the common mailing lists hold together the single
> > community. i'd like to see just one mailing list with components using
> > prefixing (as per jakarta commons). i'd like to see changes to the draft
> > so that it's clear that this will be the arrangement.
> >
> > opinions?
>
> +1 to just one dev and one user list, shared for all components, a la
> Jakarta Commons.

i think we've established a consensus on this. any objections to
amending the draft appropriately?

- robert

Posted by Martin Cooper <mf...@gmail.com>.

--