Posted to dev@roller.apache.org by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/19 13:02:57 UTC

media file crud not working again

Glen,

It looks like the crud (add/delete) on the media file child association is
not working again:

MediaFileDirectory directory;
..
this.childFiles.addAll(directory.getMediaFiles());

what technique do we now have to use with eclipselink to successfully flush
these associations?

Cheers Greg.

Re: media file crud not working again

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Gaurav,

I did start to look at what is required, but then got side tracked onto
something else.  Hopefully I will be able to get some time later in the
week.  Unfortunately the relationships are rather embedded in the code, but
the plan will be to remove these and replace them with media manager method
lookups.

Cheers Greg

Posted by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com>.
I will subscribe myself to that list. I was not aware of it, I was
thinking that only commiters have access to it.
Thanks, Glen for this info :)

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello Greg,

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Glen/Gaurav,

I have done a fix where roller manages the relationship of the parent using
the entity manager refresh() method on the parent.  I was going to use
media manager methods to get the children, but it seems so reliant on the
entity relationships it would need considerable work to rewrite it.  The db
media file does not store the file path, only the parent id, so the queries
would always involve joining files.  .....Not really a fan of id's linking
stuff together, reminds me too much of the days of relative record numbers,
and just makes querying the database unpleasant.

If this way causes issues, I will go back and look at rewriting it.

Cheers Greg.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Gaurav,

Posted by Gaurav <ga...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Posted by Greg Huber <gr...@gmail.com>.
Glen,

Looking more into this, its probably better to remove the associations and
use a straight forward queries for the resources.  I have had trouble in
the past with these types of associations and they only work really for
lists that do not change.  If we ever want to use any sort of caching (ie
on the parent pojo) these pojo's will need to be removed from the cache on
each update, which can be a truly hair greying experience.

If nobody has any objections I will replace the associations with queries.

Posted by Glen Mazza <gl...@gmail.com>.