Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Alexander E Genaud <lx...@pobox.com> on 2006/04/19 15:41:14 UTC

Context.xml

Hello,

I am having trouble deploying a webapp residing outside of the webapps
directory. I've added deployXML="true" to <Host /> in an otherwise
standard conf/server.xml on Windows XP with Tomcat 5.0 and 5.5. I've
created a file called test.xml in webapps:

<Context
  path="/test" docBase="C:\mydir" debug="0">
</Context>

*with and without the ResourceLink found in the documentation.

Restarting the server seems to have no effect. I see nothing in the
log that indicates either SUCCESS nor FAILURE. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Alex
--
CCC7 D19D D107 F079 2F3D BF97 8443 DB5A 6DB8 9CE1

Re: Context.xml

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
on a test machine I have done this to deploy items and with the correct
parameters set, i didn't need to shutdown tomcat or restart.

On 4/19/06, Alexander E Genaud <lx...@pobox.com> wrote:

> Redux,
>
> Note that I can use the admin/deployer and reference my test.xml
> Context fragment, and that works. But I hope to live deploy using the
> Context fragment only (no clicking). Is this not possible?
>
> I can stop the server and create a file in conf/Catalina/HOSTNAME to
> achieve what I am looking for, but have not seen this mentioned in the
> documentation so I am leary about this technique.
>
> Thus:
>
> CATALINA_HOME/webapps/a.xml
>
> <Context
> path="/b"
> docBase="C:\c"
> debug="0" />
>
> after deploying creates:
>
> CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/b.xml
>
> which can be modified for the next restart
>
> b.xml points to C:\c
>
> and I can see the contents at http://localhost/b
>
> Cheers,
> Alex
>

> On 4/19/06, Alexander E Genaud <lx...@pobox.com> wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I am having trouble deploying a webapp residing outside of the webapps
> > directory. I've added deployXML="true" to <Host /> in an otherwise
> > standard conf/server.xml on Windows XP with Tomcat 5.0 and 5.5. I've
> > created a file called test.xml in webapps:
> >
> > <Context
> >   path="/test" docBase="C:\mydir" debug="0">
> > </Context>
> >
> > *with and without the ResourceLink found in the documentation.
> >
> > Restarting the server seems to have no effect. I see nothing in the
> > log that indicates either SUCCESS nor FAILURE. Any suggestions?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Alex
> > --
> > CCC7 D19D D107 F079 2F3D BF97 8443 DB5A 6DB8 9CE1
> >

> --
> Alex
> --
> What is the All? Simply the eye & forms, ear & sounds, nose & aromas,
> tongue & flavors, body & tactile sensations, intellect & ideas. This,
> monks, is called the All. Anyone who would say, 'Repudiating this All,
> I will describe another,' if questioned on what exactly might be the
> grounds for his statement, would be unable to explain, and
> furthermore, would be put to grief. Why? Because it lies beyond range.
> SN XXXV.23
> --
> CCC7 D19D D107 F079 2F3D BF97 8443 DB5A 6DB8 9CE1

Marc Farrow

Re: Context.xml

Posted by Alexander E Genaud <lx...@pobox.com>.
Redux,

Re: Context.xml

Posted by Marc Farrow <ma...@gmail.com>.
you need to place your test.xml file in $tomcat_base/conf/$engine/$host.
usually

$tomcat_home/conf/Catalina/localhost directory.

Then you will need your content in c:\mydir.  Also, you might want to try
C:/mydir.