Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Marc Slemko <ma...@worldgate.com> on 1997/09/04 05:15:45 UTC

http://www.apache.org/ "Not Acceptable" ! (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
>Newsgroups: comp.infosystems.www.servers.unix
>From: "Alan J. Flavell" <fl...@mail.cern.ch>
>Subject: http://www.apache.org/  "Not Acceptable"  !
>Sender: news@news.cern.ch (USENET News System)
>Date: Wed, 3 Sep 1997 21:09:27 GMT

Strange response from http://www.apache.org/ recently - I get this
response page, with the title 406 Not Acceptable...

Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource / could not be
found on this server.

Available variants:

     index.html , type text/x-server-parsed-html

Clicking on "index.html" takes one to the real "front door".

Can we learn something about how [not] to configure an Apache
server from this?  One surmises that it's some kind of unfortunate
interaction between SSI and multiviews?

Re: http://www.apache.org/ "Not Acceptable" ! (fwd)

Posted by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com>.
At 01:29 PM 9/4/97 +0000, you wrote:
>There must be an "AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html" in the config
>file. Should be possible to use "AddHandler server-parsed html" instead to
>fix this.

Done.

	Brian

"Why not?" - TL           brian@organic.com - hyperreal.org - apache.org

Re: http://www.apache.org/ "Not Acceptable" ! (fwd)

Posted by Paul Sutton <pa...@ukweb.com>.
On Wed, 3 Sep 1997, Marc Slemko wrote:
> Strange response from http://www.apache.org/ recently - I get this
> response page, with the title 406 Not Acceptable...
>
> Not Acceptable
>
> An appropriate representation of the requested resource / could not be
> found on this server.
>
> Available variants:
>
>      index.html , type text/x-server-parsed-html
>
> Clicking on "index.html" takes one to the real "front door".

Umm, I seem to remember that they used to be a problem with Lynx compiled
in SGIs which meant it always sent

  Accept: text/html; q=0.000

with every request. Of course you can also send other Accept lines which
generate the list response.

> Can we learn something about how [not] to configure an Apache
> server from this?  One surmises that it's some kind of unfortunate
> interaction between SSI and multiviews?

There must be an "AddType text/x-server-parsed-html html" in the config
file. Should be possible to use "AddHandler server-parsed html" instead to
fix this.

//pcs