Posted to fop-dev@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch> on 2005/10/10 15:22:47 UTC

Some notes about space-before and space-after in the area tree

Manuel recently introduced the space-before and space-after traits on
areas. Right now we're using empty blocks to create spaces between areas,
except for lineAreas where Manuel started to use the space-before and
space-after traits. Now that space resolution collapses a lot of spaces
due to stacking constraints I have to touch a lot of test cases to make
them work again, so I thought I'd also change the code that generates
the spaces to use the space-before and space-after traits.

In this context it is important to note that our Area.getBPDA
(=allocated BPD) does not directly relate to the allocation rectangles
defines in 4.2.3. It includes space-before and space-after, so cursor
advancement still works, now that the empty space areas are not
generated anymore (at least in my local code).

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Some notes about space-before and space-after in the area tree

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I considered that but decided not to do that because too many such
methods could be a potential source for confusion.

Posted by Manuel Mall <mm...@arcus.com.au>.
On Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:22 pm, Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> Manuel recently introduced the space-before and space-after traits on
> areas. Right now we're using empty blocks to create spaces between
> areas, except for lineAreas where Manuel started to use the
> space-before and space-after traits. Now that space resolution
> collapses a lot of spaces due to stacking constraints I have to touch
> a lot of test cases to make them work again, so I thought I'd also
> change the code that generates the spaces to use the space-before and
> space-after traits.
>
> In this context it is important to note that our Area.getBPDA
> (=allocated BPD) does not directly relate to the allocation
> rectangles defines in 4.2.3. It includes space-before and
> space-after, so cursor advancement still works, now that the empty
> space areas are not generated anymore (at least in my local code).

It wouldn't be too much of a problem to exclude the space-before/-after
values from the bpda. We could provide a getTotalBPD function instead
which takes the space-before/-after values into account and let the
renderers use that to increment the BPD. The getBPDA method would then
stay as before (only that nobody is using it). In either case the BPDA
or TotalBPD are simply calculated values based on all or some of the
BPD, border, padding and space traits.

> Jeremias Maerki
Manuel