Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com> on 2003/12/13 18:31:16 UTC

RE: Need some Tomcat Configuration help badly

Make sure you have reloadable="true" in the contexts they're putting
their beans into:

        <Context path="/examples" docBase="examples" debug="0"
                 reloadable="true" crossContext="true">

Matt

Posted by Dick Steflik <st...@binghamton.edu>.
OK, I downloaded the zip file; how do I install it. It contains
StandardContext.class but i don't see that class file anywhere on my server.

Dick Steflik

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Find the default web.xml in $CATALINA_HOME/conf and change the appropriate
parameter for the jsp servlet to true. At least in Tomcat5 this file comes
with very good documentation.

      Philipp Taprogge

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Posted by Dick Steflik <st...@binghamton.edu>.

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
Dick Steflik wrote:
> I had the same question. In all of the years I've worked with Java I've
> always thought  it was free of memory leaks. If you use a different
> compiler does the problem go away. Is that how people like JRun
> (Macromedia)  and WebSphere (IBM) avoid the problem?

Which bug are you talking about, the classloader reload memory leak or
the javac memory leak?  The latter, they probably just fork javac by
default.  The former, well, I'd like to see whether or not they do
suffer from that issue or not!

-Dave

Re: Need some Tomcat Configuration help badly

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.
Dick Steflik wrote:

> I had the same question. In all of the years I've worked with Java I've
> always thought  it was free of memory leaks. If you use a different
> compiler does the problem go away. Is that how people like JRun
> (Macromedia)  and WebSphere (IBM) avoid the problem?

It could be. Someone here mentioned using Jikes for Tomcat as a workaround
(solution). I know that Jikes has bugs, here and there, but it can be made to
work and it comes with Tomcat. Considering that "javac" has an all present bug
(this memory leak), Jikes is better. I guess commercial solutions use their own
implementations or fork off to get rid of memory leak.

Why does JavaC have that memory leak?

Nix.

Re: Need some Tomcat Configuration help badly

Posted by QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>.
: I had the same question. In all of the years I've worked with Java I've
: always thought  it was free of memory leaks.

This is a touchy topic, because a lot of it comes down to semantics:

Java frees the developer of explicitly destroying objects.  This is key
in Java because your code only handles references, not true objects, so
you can't rely on something "going out of scope" to cause it to be
destroyed.

A simplified picture: Java's GC pretty much relies on an object having
no live references (connections) to it to determine whether to reap it.

So it's entirely possible to create a memory leak in Java if your code
manages to maintain reference to an object that's no longer "needed" or
"being used," because said object will never be reaped.

-QM

Re: Need some Tomcat Configuration help badly

Posted by Dick Steflik <st...@binghamton.edu>.
Thanks,
So far everything is going smoothly. I plan on manually restarting the
server once a day to clean up any memory leak problems. The semester is
over next weekend, so I just need to make it until then. I won't be
teaching the course again until next Fall, hopefully, by then the Tomcat
folk will have the memory leak problem fixed, or I can talk my
department chair into letting me renew my academic license with
macromedia for JRum. I'd rather stay Open Source but somtimes
commercially available software fits the bill better. Also, next Fall
I'm going to introduce EJBs and JBoss into the course, any suggestions
on using that combo?

Dick Steflik
Binghamton University.

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
Philipp Taprogge wrote:
> Dick Steflik wrote:
>>  If you use a different
>> compiler does the problem go away.
> I think so. I often hear that using jikes instead of javac would get rid
> of the problem, which, if true, rises the question why tomcat does not
> use jikes by default...

Because jikes isn't as stable as javac, and not everyone wants to
install jikes on their server.

It's easy enough to get it going yourself, and it certainly compiles
JSPs a LOT faster than javac does.

-Dave

Re: Need some Tomcat Configuration help badly

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Posted by Dick Steflik <st...@binghamton.edu>.

Posted by Nikola Milutinovic <Ni...@ev.co.yu>.

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.

Posted by Philipp Taprogge <Ph...@gmx.net>.
Hi!

Posted by David Rees <dr...@greenhydrant.com>.
Dick Steflik wrote:
> Thanks, that did the trick , the entire Fall2003 class of CS328
> (actually the kids were probably hoping that it wouldn't get fixed and I
> would excuse them from the project) THANKS you .

BTW, there is a bug with Tomcat which will cause it to run out of memory
after a number of restarts.  You will probably run into this with 30
students uploading new classes.  You will also want to make sure that
the fork attribute for the JspServlet is set to true as well as
compiling JSPs will leak memory unless the compiling process is forked.

To work around the memory leak issue when the context reloads you'll
either have to regularly restart Tomcat, and you can also set the -Xmx
startup parameter to something like -Xmx256M or higher if your machine
has the memory so that it will take longer to run out of memory.  By
default java runs as if -Xmx64M was set.

-Dave

Re: Need some Tomcat Configuration help badly

Posted by Dick Steflik <st...@binghamton.edu>.
Matt,

Posted by Matt Raible <ma...@raibledesigns.com>.

Posted by Dick Steflik <st...@binghamton.edu>.