Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com> on 2007/06/13 22:39:06 UTC

package.html resources not read

I moved my package.html files from the src/main/java directory where they worked
fine into the src/main/javadoc directory, and now the maven-javadoc-plugin
ignores them.

I can see from debug -X that javadocDirectory is passed with the correct setting.

I worked my way through a few errors to get this far and it seems very strange
that no-one else is suffering from this problem - unless of course my ability to
search the mailing list properly has evaporated.

This is my config:

     <reporting>
         <plugins>
             <plugin>
                 <configuration>
                     <links>
                         <link>http://java.sun.com/j2ee/1.4/docs/api</link>
                         <link>http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api</link>
                     </link>
                     <source>1.5</source>

<sourcepath>${basedir}/src/main/java;${basedir}/src/test/java</sourcepath>
                     <!--
javadocDirectory>${basedir}/src/main/javadoc</javadocDirectory -->
                 </configuration>
             </plugin>

Uncommenting the <javadocDirectory> tag doesn't help.

This is using either 2.2 or 2.3-SNAPSHOT, using JDK 1.5.0_12 and maven 2.0.6.

Does anybody else see this? Or recognise a stupid error? Thanks!

Re: using javadocDirectory with maven-javadoc-plugin

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Heinrich Nirschl on 22/06/07 16:59, wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 23:22 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> I couldn't get it to work. I am glad it doesn't affect you, but I found nothing
>> to explain why. BTW I am on linux too.
>>
>> I filed the bug http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-129 with a testcase.
>>

> I tried your test case, but I get a stack trace from javadoc after a few
> error messages (this is with java version 1.5.0_11):
>
> java.lang.ClassCastException: com.sun.tools.javadoc.ClassDocImpl
>         at
> com.sun.tools.javadoc.AnnotationDescImpl.annotationType(AnnotationDescImpl.java:46)
>         at
> com.sun.tools.doclets.internal.toolkit.util.Util.isDeprecated(Util.java:804)

That's right. It's the junit annotations in the unit test class that javadoc
can't handle because the junit.jar is not passed to javadoc in the classpath. I
don't think javadoc should react like this, it should handle it more gracefully.
Here's a link to the bug at Sun (not mine!):

Adam

Re: using javadocDirectory with maven-javadoc-plugin

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, 2007-06-21 at 23:22 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> I couldn't get it to work. I am glad it doesn't affect you, but I found nothing
> to explain why. BTW I am on linux too.
>
> I filed the bug http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-129 with a testcase.

I tried your test case, but I get a stack trace from javadoc after a few
error messages (this is with java version 1.5.0_11):

java.lang.ClassCastException: com.sun.tools.javadoc.ClassDocImpl
        at
com.sun.tools.javadoc.AnnotationDescImpl.annotationType(AnnotationDescImpl.java:46)
        at
com.sun.tools.doclets.internal.toolkit.util.Util.isDeprecated(Util.java:804)

When I remove the test directory src/test/java from the sourcepath it
finishes without error but the package.html file is not picked up. So
far that's consistent with your observations.

If I remove the sourcepath completely, I get the package.html but not
the image in doc-files.

The doc-files directory does show up in the generated documentation if
it is moved to the root (i.e. src/main/javadoc/doc-files).

Seems, there are quite a few bugs at work ...

- Henry

Re: using javadocDirectory with maven-javadoc-plugin

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Heinrich Nirschl on 16/06/07 21:39, wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 19:21 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> Heinrich Nirschl on 15/06/07 18:35, wrote:

>>> Yes, this works here (Java 5, Maven 2.0.6, javadoc plugin 2.2). At least
>>> the package.html bit, I did not try images. There is an issue with
>>> aggregated documentation
>>> ( http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-118 ) but this should not
>>> apply to your case.
>>
>> how are you specifying the maven-javadoc-plugin config?
>>
>> Do you have the src/main/javadoc directory declared in <sourcepath/> or in
>> <javadocDirectory/> or not declared at all?
>
> I do not declare the src/main/javadoc anywhere. It works out of the box.
> By the way, am working on Linux, this may also be relevant.
>
>> I realised that javadoc would have no problem processing the package.html files
>> if I declared the src/main/javadoc in the <sourcepath/> but that is just a
>> work-around, since it would make <javadocDirectory/> redundant - or am I missing
>> something?
>
> You may experiment with the debug parameter of the javadoc plugin. This
> will reveal the javadoc command actually used. Maybe you can find out
> why your setup does not work.

I couldn't get it to work. I am glad it doesn't affect you, but I found nothing
to explain why. BTW I am on linux too.

I filed the bug http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-129 with a testcase.

Regards
Adam

Re: using javadocDirectory with maven-javadoc-plugin

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.
On Sat, 2007-06-16 at 19:21 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Heinrich Nirschl on 15/06/07 18:35, wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 23:07 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
> >> I thought I'd post a more generic description since it seems no-one else
> >> recognises the problem.
> >>
> >> Can't find any references to it in the JIRA or on the mailing list or in fact
> >> just generally by googling (there is some stuff but it was for mvn 1.1 and fixed).
> >>
> >> Using the src/main/javadoc directory for package.html files just doesn't work.
> >>
> >> Does anyone successfully process their package.html and images etc from
> >> src/main/javadoc? I'd be interested to hear.
> >>
> >> Thanks
> >> Adam
> >>

> > Yes, this works here (Java 5, Maven 2.0.6, javadoc plugin 2.2). At least
> > the package.html bit, I did not try images. There is an issue with
> > aggregated documentation
> > ( http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-118 ) but this should not
> > apply to your case.
>
> Henry,
>
> how are you specifying the maven-javadoc-plugin config?
>
> Do you have the src/main/javadoc directory declared in <sourcepath/> or in
> <javadocDirectory/> or not declared at all?

I do not declare the src/main/javadoc anywhere. It works out of the box.
By the way, am working on Linux, this may also be relevant.

> I realised that javadoc would have no problem processing the package.html files
> if I declared the src/main/javadoc in the <sourcepath/> but that is just a
> work-around, since it would make <javadocDirectory/> redundant - or am I missing
> something?

You may experiment with the debug parameter of the javadoc plugin. This
will reveal the javadoc command actually used. Maybe you can find out
why your setup does not work.

> Thanks for the pointer to the bug. I tried using the src/main/javadoc dir
> structure in a multi-module project and the directory wasn't processed,
> unfortunately. You say you are using plugin 2.2 but the fix for the bug is in
> 2.3 - so you must be using src/main/javadoc only in the parent project?

I don't use aggregation for the moment (until version 2.3 is out). If
this is too inconvenient, I just put package.html below src/main/java.
Your approach with the sourcepath seems more elegant.

- Henry

Re: using javadocDirectory with maven-javadoc-plugin

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.
Heinrich Nirschl on 15/06/07 18:35, wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-06-14 at 23:07 +0100, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> I thought I'd post a more generic description since it seems no-one else
>> recognises the problem.
>>
>> Can't find any references to it in the JIRA or on the mailing list or in fact
>> just generally by googling (there is some stuff but it was for mvn 1.1 and fixed).
>>
>> Using the src/main/javadoc directory for package.html files just doesn't work.
>>
>> Does anyone successfully process their package.html and images etc from
>> src/main/javadoc? I'd be interested to hear.
>>
>> Thanks
>> Adam
>>

> Yes, this works here (Java 5, Maven 2.0.6, javadoc plugin 2.2). At least
> the package.html bit, I did not try images. There is an issue with
> aggregated documentation
> ( http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/MJAVADOC-118 ) but this should not
> apply to your case.

Henry,

how are you specifying the maven-javadoc-plugin config?

Do you have the src/main/javadoc directory declared in <sourcepath/> or in
<javadocDirectory/> or not declared at all?

I realised that javadoc would have no problem processing the package.html files
if I declared the src/main/javadoc in the <sourcepath/> but that is just a
work-around, since it would make <javadocDirectory/> redundant - or am I missing
something?

Thanks for the pointer to the bug. I tried using the src/main/javadoc dir
structure in a multi-module project and the directory wasn't processed,
unfortunately. You say you are using plugin 2.2 but the fix for the bug is in
2.3 - so you must be using src/main/javadoc only in the parent project?

regards
Adam

Re: using javadocDirectory with maven-javadoc-plugin [was: package.html resources not read]

Posted by Heinrich Nirschl <he...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Hardy <ad...@cyberspaceroad.com>.