Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Bh <bh...@hotmail.com> on 2002/10/10 15:49:04 UTC

FOP question

I use FOP to generate PDF, CSV, etc from XML using XSL.

I have made a major push in my company to use open source, but I was rudely
shocked when I realized that FOP cannot mana dynamic column width like html
does.

For eg: since I am using xml my data is indeterminate and depends on the
source and I want to show the data in plain tables, but when I use fop i
need to specify how many columns are there and what is the width of each
column.

The number of columns can be avoided by using the for-each loop but the
width of each column cannot be escaped. Does anyone know how to handle this.
Is a new version of fop expected to take care of this problem and if it is
when is it expected to be released.

Please let me know.

Thanks.

B.

Re: FOP question

Posted by "J.Pietschmann" <j3...@yahoo.de>.
Bh wrote:
> I have made a major push in my company to use open source, but I was rudely
> shocked when I realized that FOP cannot mana dynamic column width like html
> does.
> Does anyone know how to handle this.
> Is a new version of fop expected to take care of this problem and if it is
> when is it expected to be released.

Implementing automatic table layout is a tricky problem. Let me know
if you have a volunteer for the task.

J.Pietschmann