Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de> on 2011/08/09 00:16:56 UTC

Solved: Eclipse is unable to resolve UIMA Eclipse tooling bundles

Am 07.08.2011 um 17:00 schrieb Richard Eckart de Castilho:

> Its still now there. OSGi says that the bundle is installed, but it is not resolved:
>
>  org.apache.uima.desceditor (2.3.2.SNAPSHOT) "UIMA Eclipse: uimaj-ep-configurator: Descriptor Editor" [Installed]
>
> When I try to start it from the OSGi host console, I get:
>
>  The bundle "org.apache.uima.desceditor_2.3.2.SNAPSHOT [258]" could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Import-Package: org.apache.uima.jcas.jcasgenp; version="2.3.0"
>
> Looking at the MANIFEST.MF of uimaj-ep-configurator I find several odd things:
>
>  - there are imports for a version 2.3 while it should be 2.3.2-SNAPSHOT (the exports are correct btw.!)
>  - even packages from uimaj-ep-configurator are imported in version 2.3
>
> That is the end of my story so far, because I currently can't figure out at the moment, why the MANIFEST.MF files are broken.
>
> BLOCKER: As a last measure, I tried running a "mvn clean install" after removing my ~/.m2/repository on a completely fresh checkout of UIMA. But this also generates the broken package imports in the MANIFEST.MF. A JAR I had downloaded from Jenkins with the build timestamp 20110606-1443 still contains the correct import statements.

Solution: installed the feature "EMF - Eclipse Modelling Framework SDK"

It looks like the MANIFEST.MF files are generated "as desired" after all. I found some documentation on Import-Package and versioning here

  http://fusesource.com/docs/esb/4.4/esb_deploy_osgi/BestPractices-BuildBundles.html

A short resume:

- per default the Import-Package uses a truncated version, e.g. 2.3.2.SNAPSHOT becomes 2.3
- an Import-Package with a version=1.2 is equivalent to a version range [2.3, infinity)

So far so good.

Digging further, I found that one of the packages that Eclipse could not resolve was an EMF package. I installed the feature "EMF - Eclipse Modelling Framework SDK" version "2.6.1.v20100914-1218" and after that all plugins were able to resolve.

I think it would be a good idea to mention the need to install the "EMF - Eclipse Modelling Framework SDK" in the Eclipse section of the "One time setup" page.

Looks like I am finally set up and learned a lot in the process.

Thanks for your support so far!

-- Richard

Richard Eckart de Castilho
Technical Lead
Ubiquitous Knowledge Processing Lab
FB 20 Computer Science Department
Technische Universität Darmstadt
Hochschulstr. 10, D-64289 Darmstadt, Germany
eckartde@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de
www.ukp.tu-darmstadt.de

Re: Solved: Eclipse is unable to resolve UIMA Eclipse tooling bundles

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Am 09.08.2011 um 21:27 schrieb Marshall Schor:

> Ah, yes... now makes sense...
>
> But of course, you can do both :-)  Just configure the launching the test
> version of Eclipse to use the plugin(s) you're developing, and otherwise use the
> installed ones.

I could do that. But I intentionally would like to keep the IDE instance clear of the plugins that I am working on. I can already imagine myself spending hours trying to figure out why changes don't work out and finally finding that I was testing the plugin installed in the IDE and not the one from the workspace.

Well, before I would start any serious development efforts with PDE, I'd probably set up a platform definition file and clean set of Eclipse bundles anyway. I never liked inheriting bundles from the IDE very much. Since UIMA doesn't ship with a platform definition file, however, making a note of installing the EMF stuff should help potential contributors in getting started. Unless of course, you'd like to ship a platform definition ;)

Cheers,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Ah, yes... now makes sense...

But of course, you can do both :-)  Just configure the launching the test
version of Eclipse to use the plugin(s) you're developing, and otherwise use the
installed ones.

-Marshall

Posted by Richard Eckart de Castilho <ec...@tk.informatik.tu-darmstadt.de>.
Hello Marshal,

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Hi Richard,

Thanks for digging down to root causes :-)

The issue with EMF - can you confirm it works for you in a brand-new-unzipped
Eclipse 3.6 or 3.7 where you install just the UIMA plugins from the update site,
but leave (or have) the box checked on the install page which says: "Contact all
update sites during install to find required software", *without* you having to
manually install EMF?

(I think it goes and installs EMF automatically in this case).

If you can confirm that, we can add that info to the 1 time setup info for
Eclipse:  something like: "Either check the Contact all ... or manually install EMF.

-Marshall