Posted to dev@cordova.apache.org by Shazron <sh...@apache.org> on 2014/03/05 19:14:09 UTC

[cordova-plugins/statusbar] Publishing as core

statusbar is already published org.apache.cordova.statusbar.

And... Since these plugins are somewhat experimental and we're starting the
process of voting and publishing plugins to dist/, I wonder:

a) Should we change the ID of these plugins to, say
"org.apache.cordova.labs"
b) Should we move these plugins to github and have them not under apache
for now, e.g.: com.shazron.statusbar
c) Should we just add them to the plugin release process.
d) Should we just never publish them to the registry and have people use
them via git url.

Re: [cordova-plugins/statusbar] Publishing as core

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
sgtm

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.
+1 sgtm

@purplecabbage
risingj.com

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.
Had to get infra to re-create the statusbar repo since I mistakenly asked
it to be named "cordova-statusbar" instead of "cordova-plugin-statusbar"
(thus the flurry of statusbar commits again)

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Carlos Santana <cs...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.

Posted by Jonathan Bond-Caron <jb...@gdesolutions.com>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM, Jesse <pu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> More on the concept of rolling into a platform ...
> My distinction is that there are some things that every platform should
> consider a baseline of browser functionality, and if the OS SDKs do not
> provide it out of the box, then we should. Some examples of this :
>
> 1. Local XHR, Windows Phone does not support xhr when trying to access a
> file:// url, I could have made this a plugin that would only be used on WP,
> but I think this functionality should be intrinsic, so now it is.
> 2. console.log: if you create a brand new iOS cordova project, the
> hello-world app gives you some boilerplate code to get started.  One thing
> that new users may notice is the use of console.log in index.js, however,
> they will never see the output.  Hooking conosle.log output to go to the
> command-line output of a run command, or the output window of visual
> studio, or xcode is the minimum functionality, and I personally think it
> should be built in. This is probably best discussed in a new thread, as I
> know Michal has a different opinion, because of some weinre edge case, but
> this is meant to serve more as an example.

New Thread sounds better, but wanted to just point out: its not weinre, its
safari remote inspector, I wouldn't make a fuss if it was just weinre
(sorry Patrick!).

Posted by Jesse <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Sidney Bofah <si...@neofonie.de>.
+1

Posted by Tommy-Carlos Williams <to...@devgeeks.org>.
+1

Posted by Jonathan Bond-Caron <jb...@gdesolutions.com>.
> Import 'plaforms/android' into Eclipse:
> https://onedrive.live.com/?gologin=1&mkt=en-
> US#cid=295047487FC4F731&id=295047487FC4F731%215602&v=3
>
> Broken... but "cordova run" works... Is using eclipse still a 'core' thing?
> It's a "still want to use an IDE" thing. My preference is a cordova that embraces
> diversity.

Related:

My impression is Cordova gets used in different ways by many, championing certain "flows" could be a path towards stability & better ecosystem.

I think what I'm trying to say is if there's a 'champion' committer for the IDE flow and he or community needs plugins (a,b,c), then that flow & the plugins (a,b,c) should be considered core.

Plugin dependencies rolled into platforms doesn't seem like the right direction.

RE: [cordova-plugins/statusbar] Publishing as core

Posted by Jonathan Bond-Caron <jb...@gdesolutions.com>.
On Mon Mar 10 02:52 PM, Brian LeRoux wrote:
> While I wholeheartedly agree plugins, clean separation of concerns, discreet
> repos, all have big benefits if every single developer installs a plugin on day 1 that
> is specific to a particular platform I feel that might be a good indication the
> platform should conditionally roll that plugin in.
> I think the statusbar might quality.

Good point, IMHO it's more part of a popular 'core' web dev flow:
cordova plugin add org.apache.cordova.web-dev  (include statusbar & console.log, others?)

Arguably a CSS fix works too:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18886195/ios-7-status-bar-overlapping-ui

 Some related frustration:
cordova create bar
cordova platform add android

Import 'plaforms/android' into Eclipse:
https://onedrive.live.com/?gologin=1&mkt=en-US#cid=295047487FC4F731&id=295047487FC4F731%215602&v=3

Broken... but "cordova run" works... Is using eclipse still a 'core' thing?
It's a "still want to use an IDE" thing. My preference is a cordova that embraces diversity.

Back to statusbar, some might prefer native code through xcode / not using the plugin.

Re: [cordova-plugins/statusbar] Publishing as core

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Jonathan Bond-Caron <jb...@gdesolutions.com>.

Posted by Michal Mocny <mm...@chromium.org>.
Whats the benefit of rolling plugins into a platform?  The only one I can
see is "installed by default" which means better "out of box" experience
for new users.

I think we can solve that problem using a plethora of better alternatives,
including install scripts (perhaps with a generator like yeoman, perhaps my
just pasting snippets in tutorials), by supporting plugin dependencies for
platforms, or just by hard coding a list of default plugins in cordova-cli
(we do this in cca for example).  Many alternatives exist.

I'm not sure if we need to iterate the list of benefits in leaving features
implemented inside plugins, but I think its almost entirely upside to do so.

-Michal

Posted by Brian LeRoux <b...@brian.io>.

Posted by Andrew Grieve <ag...@chromium.org>.
What does core mean?

Posted by purplecabbage <pu...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Tommy Williams <to...@devgeeks.org>.
Well, as much as I'd like the faster iteration of plugins, I think from a
user perspective that these two bits of functionality are pretty important.

Users need them. iOS apps without the status bar plugin are fairly limited
in how they can be styled, etc. The default is dark text, so only a light
navbar is possible out of the box without it.

The keyboard plugin is also pretty serious. Any forms stuff in iOS has to
be above the keyboard height or it gets pretty flakey. It's a pretty bad
experience.

I am worried we are thinking about software engineering organization and
not about making cordova a viable platform for most developers.

- tommy

Posted by Shazron <sh...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Anis KADRI <an...@gmail.com>.

Posted by James Jong <wj...@gmail.com>.