Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Sander Striker <st...@apache.org> on 2002/05/01 23:40:13 UTC

Final bump and roll of 2.0.36

Hi,

I've done the final bump. Files marked with a [T] have made it to the
roll.  Files marked with [-] haven't.  I have included the logs of the
changes for your convenience. Lines marked RM: are lines with my commentary.

Tarballs are available at:
  httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/

I haven't had the time to create zipfiles yet, sorry.

Please test and vote accordingly ;)

Sander

httpd-2.0

[T] Apache.dsw (1.79)

wrowe
Log:
    Always build this experimental module (which has no library dependencies).
    Build failure reported by Jerry Baker to dev@httpd

[T] BuildBin.dsp (1.4)

wrowe
Log:
  Should correctly build mod_ext_filter, mod_deflate dependant upon zlib,
  and change the license-add code for openssl+zlib based on the newest
  changes to a global LICENSE for all bundled components.

[T] CHANGES (1.751)

RM: Updated prior to retagging.

[T] Makefile.win (1.98)

wrowe
Log:
  Should correctly build mod_ext_filter, mod_deflate dependant upon zlib,
  and change the license-add code for openssl+zlib based on the newest
  changes to a global LICENSE for all bundled components.

[T] NWGNUmakefile              (1.5)
[T] build/NWGNUenvironment.inc (1.2)

bnicholes
Log:
  Fixing up the distribution and install section of the NetWare make files

  Submitted by: Guenter Knauf

[T] docs/manual/server-wide.html.en         (1.8)
[T] docs/manual/server-wide.html.ja.jis     (1.5)
[T] docs/manual/mod/mod_cache.xml           (1.2)
[T] docs/manual/platform/win_compiling.html (1.11)

RM: documentation changes always have to go in IMO.

[T] include/ap_mmn.h (1.43)

wrowe
Log:
  Demote to a minor bump for .36 - those affected by API changes should
  be a very small subset of modules.  Here are the afflicted types & fns;

  apr_explode_time      -> apr_time_exp_tz
  apr_explode_localtime -> apr_time_exp_lt
  apr_get_groupname     -> apr_group_name_get

  deprecated apr_lock_t, apr_os_lock_t and fns, but the warnings
  have been there a while so no sympathy.

  added dav_hooks_search_t and DASL Search functions.

  added apr_cmdtype_e *type arg to mod_cgi opt fn ap_cgi_build_command.

  added proxy_fixups hook and ap_proxy_ssl_disable, and
  optional fn ssl_engine_disable.

RM: Personally don't have strong feelings about this.  At the lack of
    feedback I assume everyone lazily agrees.  Thus the bump.

[T] modules/NWGNUmakefile              (1.2)
[T] modules/experimental/NWGNUdeflate  (1.1)
[T] modules/experimental/NWGNUdsk_cach (1.1)
[T] modules/experimental/NWGNUexample  (1.1)
[T] modules/experimental/NWGNUmakefile (1.2)
[T] modules/experimental/NWGNUmem_cach (1.1)
[T] modules/experimental/NWGNUmod_cach (1.1)

bnicholes
Log:
  NetWare make files for building experimental modules mod_deflate,
  mod_example and support utilities ab, htdbm and logresolve

  Submitted by: Guenter Knauf [eflash@gmx.net]

bnicholes
Log:
  NetWare make files for building experimental module mod_cache and its
  associated support modules.

  Submitted by: Jean-Jacques Clar [jjclar@novell.com]

[T] modules/experimental/mod_mem_cache.c (1.50)

stoddard
Log:
  Name space protect mod_mem_cache config directives

stoddard
Log:
  Forget to update the error messages

stoddard
Log:
  remove_entity should only work on complete cache_objects

stoddard
Log:
  Enable mod_mem_cache to be configured to cache open file handle using new
  directive option: CacheEnable fd / will enable caching fds. If for some
  reason the fd cannot be cached, the directive will effectively morph into
  CacheEnable mem /

[T] modules/proxy/NWGNUproxy

bnicholes
Log:
  Added some missing export to the proxy module

  Submitted by: Guenter Knauf

[T] modules/ssl/README             (1.33)
[T] modules/ssl/mod_ssl.c          (1.64)
[T] modules/ssl/ssl_engine_log.c   (1.18)
[T] modules/ssl/ssl_scache_shmcb.c (1.12)

jwoolley
Log:
  note a desirable goal

jwoolley
Log:
  Revert optimization from circa 2.0.34 that caused very long vhost id's
  to be unusable with mod_ssl.

  PR: 8572

jwoolley
Log:
  - Sync with modssl 2.8.8-1.3.24
  - Also a minor change to add more useful error
    logging for shmcb startup failures

jwoolley
Log:
  SHMCB should not have been using apr_rmm -- it was doing so incorrectly,
  for one thing.  But it just plain doesn't need it.  Rip it out to avoid
  segfaulting.

  Submitted by:  Aaron Bannert

[-] server/core.c (1.173)

gregames
Log:
  default_handler: move the code to handle unusual methods out of the middle
  of the hot path without using goto.

  suggested by: Roy Fielding

RM: Didn't have time to review/test, thus not bumped.

[-] server/vhost.c (1.74)

brianp
Log:
  Eliminate some sprintf calls

RM: Didn't have time to review/test, thus not bumped.

[T] server/mpm/netware/mpm_netware.c (1.49)

bnicholes
Log:
Readjusting how the bucket alloc is done for each worker thread.  Allocate
the bucket once per thread rather than on every request.  This change
increases our performance significantly.

[T] server/mpm/worker/worker.c (1.122)

jerenkrantz
Log:
  Close sockets on worker MPM when doing a graceless restart.  This should
  resolve some segfaults see when doing such restarts.

  (Justin tweaked the palloc/memset in favor of calloc.)

  Submitted by:	Aaron Bannert
  Reviewed by:	Greg Ames, Sander Striker, Justin Erenkrantz

stoddard
Log:
  Defer starting the listener until we have at least tried to start all the worker
  threads.  We want to get the workers in the pool of available threads ASAP
  to keep perform_idle_server_maintenance from thrashing and starting too
  many processes prematurely.  The code before this patch would dribble workers
  into the worker pool over an extended period of time and this prevented
  perform_idle_server_maintenance from accurately deciding when new processes
  were needed.

trawick
Log:
  wait for worker threads to exit even in graceless termination
  (we already have code to make them exit sooner now)

[T] support/NWGNUab       (1.1)
[T] support/NWGNUhtdbm    (1.1)
[T] support/NWGNUlogres   (1.1)
[T] support/NWGNUmakefile (1.2)

bnicholes
Log:
  NetWare make files for building experimental modules mod_deflate,
  mod_example and support utilities ab, htdbm and logresolve

  Submitted by: Guenter Knauf [eflash@gmx.net]

[ ] support/ab.c (1.99)

dirkx
Log:
  During the 1.3->2.0 migragrion; ab its #defined VERSION own string was replaced
  by that of the base server distribution it sits in. Propably by accident.

  This is propably not a good idea - as ideally one would like to be able to compare
  ab runs as much as possible - even across releases of apache 2.0 - assuming ab or
  the dependent APR has not changed (note to self: we do not track APR in our version
  structure). This commit decouples the version strings for now. Though the actual
  value may be nicely confusing.

fielding
Log:
  Remove APR_WANT_SIGNAL from apr_want.h because code must include
  apr_signal.h in order to get consistent definitions.

RM: Didn't want to move ab out of the tree at this point, but also didn't want
    to include a versioning change for possibly only one release.  Not bumped
    for that reason.

[T] support/apxs.in (1.37)

trawick
Log:
  finish getting apxs to work with a binary build

  it now picks up any necessary ld environment variables from
  the envvars file when invoking "httpd -l" to verify that
  mod_so was included in the build

apr

[T] srclib/apr/CHANGES (1.275)

RM: Will be updated prior to retagging.

[T] srclib/apr/STATUS (1.113)

RM: No harm in retagging this one.

[T] srclib/apr/apr.dsp    (1.100)
[T] srclib/apr/libapr.dsp (1.61)

wrowe
Log:
  Doesn't fix anything.  Just makes it more convienent to maintain apr_app.c
  (the alternative to apr_app_initialize -only- for WINNT app builds.)

[T] srclib/apr/configure.in (1.443)

jerenkrantz
Log:
  Not all platforms can mmap /dev/zero, so we need to do an explicit check
  for that.  If that were to fail, then make it appear as /dev/zero never
  existed in the first place.

  PR: 8537

trawick
Log:
  provide a cross-compilation default in the /dev/zero check to avoid
  an autoconf warning

jerenkrantz
Log:
  Add --disable-atomics flag which will prevent APR from using its *own*
  optimized code.  On those OSes that properly support atomics from userspace,
  we will use those no matter what the user specifies.  Therefore, this change
  only affects Solaris/Sparc - if --disable-atomics is passed, we will use
  APR's generic code.

  Rewrite/simplify Sparc CPU m4 test to make more sense.

jerenkrantz
Log:
  Fix brain damage from last commit (remove bogus [] and blank line)

dreid
Log:
  Allow the build to succeed on beos by setting this correctly.

RM: Tweaked prior to retagging.  I left justins /dev/zero patch out.

[T] srclib/apr/build/apr_network.m4 (1.18)

trawick
Log:
  don't require that the DNS can map 127.0.0.1 when checking
  for the presence/usability of getnameinfo()

  PR:                7642

[T] srclib/apr/include/apr_atomic.h (1.26)

jerenkrantz
Log:
  Remove Linux atomic support as this is most definitely not meant for
  userspace applications.  We will have to come up with processor-specific
  implementations, but we can not rely on Linux to help us here.  So,
  remove this.

  Linux will now use the fallback atomic implementation.

jerenkrantz
Log:
  Make the () style consistent for read and set macros.  This should resolve
  potential problems using complicated expressions in read/set.

trawick
Log:
  remove some linux comments

  Submitted by:	Joe Orton <jo...@manyfish.co.uk>
  Reviewed by:	Jeff Trawick

[T] srclib/apr/include/apr_compat.h (1.15)

wrowe
Log:
  Ummm, has anyone even considered maintaining this since GA?

trawick
Log:
  add a missing comment delimiter

[-] srclib/apr/include/apr_signal.h         (1.12)
[-] srclib/apr/include/apr_want.h           (1.9)
[-] srclib/apr/threadproc/netware/signals.c (1.5)
[-] srclib/apr/threadproc/unix/signals.c    (1.45)

fielding
Log:
  Remove APR_WANT_SIGNAL from apr_want.h because code must include
  apr_signal.h in order to get consistent definitions.  In general,
  apr_want.h is a bad idea and should be replaced with topic-specific
  header files.

RM: ab.c depends on this.  Didn't want to mess with that right now.

srclib/apr/network_io/beos/poll.c (1.32)

dreid
Log:
  Small fix for beos networking.

[T] srclib/apr/test/testatomic.c (1.15)

jerenkrantz
Log:
  - Make this more legible (style police)
  - Modify output to indicate that the threads may take a while to complete

  (No compelling functional changes.)

[T] srclib/apr/test/testvsn.c (1.3)

jwoolley
Log:
  fix compile break

[T] srclib/apr/threadproc/win32/proc.c (1.73)

wrowe
Log:
  It's just a jump to the left... and a step to the right...

  Some things are easier to follow when you leave them in the natural
  order of things.

apr-util

[T] srclib/apr-util/misc/apr_rmm.c (1.15)

jerenkrantz
Log:
  The style police come before the bug police.  (Bug police are on the case.)

jerenkrantz
Log:
  The style police have been called back to the scene of the crime.

jerenkrantz
Log:
  - Remove MIN_BLK_SIZE bogosity.  If the user wants to allocate small chunks,
    the library must not get in the way even if *we* think it's silly.  As
    long as they have enough overhead allocated, we shouldn't get in the way.
  - Fix bug in find_block_by_offset() that would return 0 instead of prev if
    includes is set.  This would prohibit coalescing from occuring on the
    freelist if done in sequential order.  Therefore, small allocs, freeing
    those chunks, and a subsequent large alloc would fail.

[T] srclib/apr-util/test/Makefile.in (1.24)

jerenkrantz
Log:
  Add testrmm program to test the RMM subsystem

jwoolley
Log:
  it's really irritating when the make all target doesn't make anything.  :)

[T] srclib/apr-util/test/testrmm.c (1.1)

Re: Final bump and roll of 2.0.36

Posted by Brian Pane <br...@cnet.com>.
Sander Striker wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've done the final bump. Files marked with a [T] have made it to the
>roll.  Files marked with [-] haven't.  I have included the logs of the
>changes for your convenience. Lines marked RM: are lines with my commentary.
>
>Tarballs are available at:
>  httpd.apache.org/dev/dist/
>
>I haven't had the time to create zipfiles yet, sorry.
>
>Please test and vote accordingly ;)

Tested on Solaris (worker MPM)

+1

--Brian

Re: Final bump and roll of 2.0.36

Posted by Bill Stoddard <bi...@wstoddard.com>.
I will be +1 for GA of 2.0.36 if it runs for 3 days w/o problems on daedalus.  I'm not
concerned with release announcements. 2.0.35 has some bugs which prevent it from being
used in production. 2.0.36 eliminates these bugs. This really should have been our first
GA release, not 2.0.35 :-)

Bill

Posted by Pier Fumagalli <pi...@betaversion.org>.
"Sander Striker" <st...@apache.org> wrote:

>>> What about GA?
>>
>> IMO:
>>
>> pros:
>>  * we do people more of a disservice by continue to have them use 2.0.35
>>    and find already fixed bugs than by throwing another release at them
>>    three weeks later
>>  * what you said
>>
>> cons:
>>  * worker shutdown is still wonky, at least on linux.  part of me would
>>    have rather seen it segfault.  but just stick a warning in the release
>>    notes to be wary of the potential rough edges there, and I'm okay with
>>    it
>
> +1.  Lets give it the rest of the week and the weekend.  Start moving for
> announce of GA on monday.

Nagoya is running 2.0.36 with worker, ATM, so if you want to give it a
blast, don't worry... In theory nothing should go bad, right? :) :) :)

    Pier

>> ...and no emails reporting strange behavior on the site. +1 for beta.
>
> +1 for beta from me as well.

Likewise.

Posted by Cliff Woolley <jw...@virginia.edu>.
On Thu, 2 May 2002, Greg Ames wrote:

> ...and no emails reporting strange behavior on the site. +1 for beta.

+1 for beta from me as well.

> What about GA?

IMO:

pros:
 * we do people more of a disservice by continue to have them use 2.0.35
   and find already fixed bugs than by throwing another release at them
   three weeks later
 * what you said

cons:
 * worker shutdown is still wonky, at least on linux.  part of me would
   have rather seen it segfault.  but just stick a warning in the release
   notes to be wary of the potential rough edges there, and I'm okay with
   it

--Cliff

   Cliff Woolley
   cliffwoolley@yahoo.com
   Charlottesville, VA

Re: Final bump and roll of 2.0.36

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by Greg Ames <gr...@apache.org>.

Posted by David Reid <dr...@jetnet.co.uk>.
Ben? Is Ben in the house?

david

Posted by Justin Erenkrantz <je...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.
Jerry Baker wrote:

> Don't worry too much. This has been going on for quite some time.

Nevermind. Sorry. It was a problem with the Cygwin awk.exe. It isn't
really an executable, but a symlink to gawk.exe. Problem is that Windows
doesn't have symlinks. Renaming gawk.exe to awk.exe fixed it. :::stupid
redhat:::

--
Jerry Baker

Re: Final bump and roll of 2.0.36

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.
"William A. Rowe, Jr." wrote:

> Ok... now I see your second post - tack on this discrepancy and retitle
> the bug "Some versions of awk disagree with Win32 builds".

Cygwin Awk Incompatible With Apache Build
http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8726

--
Jerry Baker

Re: Final bump and roll of 2.0.36

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
At 06:15 PM 5/1/2002, Jerry Baker wrote:
>I assume that pulling the APACHE_2_0_36 tag gets me the same things
>as the aforementioned tarballs? If so, built and ran on Windows XP ok.
>
>PS - There is some trouble with a couple of the awk actions on
>Windows XP at least. The following lines from makefile.win
>result in a crash:
>
>awk -f <<script.awk < "srclib\openssl\LICENSE" >> "$(INSTDIR)\LICENSE.txt"
>awk -f <<script.awk "docs\conf\httpd-win.conf"
>"$(INSTDIR)\conf\httpd.default.conf" "$(INSTDIR)"
>awk -f <<script.awk "support\dbmmanage.in" >"$(INSTDIR)\bin\dbmmanage.pl"
>
>Each one of these lines causes the following error:
>
>"The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:0596 IP:001d
>OP: ff ff ff ff ff Chose 'Close' to terminate the application."

Sure sounds like a bug in your awk implementation.  Which one/version number?

We already have a report 8008 (djgpp 3.06)... you might want to note this
discrepancy as well.  If there is a syntax error in those scripts, I'm not
seeing it.

http://nagoya.apache.org/bugzilla/show_bug.cgi?id=8008

>Don't worry too much. This has been going on for quite some time.

I won't... but keep us in the loop when things go nutty :-)

Posted by Jerry Baker <je...@weirdness.com>.