Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by "Bradford, Jeff L" <JB...@amfam.com> on 2006/03/27 22:29:55 UTC

Release Management

One of the issues we have run into with previous open source app servers
is the lack of a fast migration path from one version to the next.  It
is always an unzip and then a manual movement of the needed app specific
info and server config while keeping in mind changes to DTDs as well.
Keeping a large development shop on the same version of an app server
locally and on our various testing tiers is a major undertaking.
Therefore, do you have any plans or would you consider assembling some
type of auto-update executable, script or an Eclipse type of Software
Updates option to ease this pain between major and minor versions.

Thanks,
Jeff

Re: Release Management

Posted by Sachin Patel <sp...@gmail.com>.
FYI The eclipse update manager can be run headlessly and it can be
used not just to install "features/plugins" but it can be used to
install any type of archive and to any target with the use of custom
InstallHandlers so technically it could be used to update G. I don't
know offhand how much a standalone update manager pulls in and how
much overhead there would be, but I think its something definitely to
look into.

- sachin

Re: Release Management

Posted by Matt Hogstrom <ma...@hogstrom.org>.