Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by blargy <zm...@hotmail.com> on 2010/03/23 19:39:48 UTC

Impossible Boost Query?

I was wondering if this is even possible. I'll try to explain what I'm trying
to do to the best of my ability.

Ok, so our site has a bunch of products that are sold by any number of
sellers. Currently when I search for some product I get back all products
matching that search term but the problem is there may be multiple products
sold by the same seller that are all closely related, therefore their scores
are related. So basically the search ends up with results that are all
closely clumped together by the same seller but I would much rather prefer
to distribute these results across sellers (given each seller a fair shot to
sell their goods).

Is there any way to add some boost query for example that will start
weighing products lower when their seller has already been listed a few
times. For example, right now I have

Product foo by Seller A
Product foo by Seller A
Product foo by Seller A
Product foo by Seller B
Product foo by Seller B
Product foo by Seller B
Product foo by Seller C
Product foo by Seller C
Product foo by Seller C

where each result is very close in score. I would like something like this

Product foo by Seller A
Product foo by Seller B
Product foo by Seller C
Product foo by Seller A
Product foo by Seller B
Product foo by Seller C

basically distributing the results over the sellers. Is something like this
possible? I don't care if the solution involves a boost query or not. I just
want some way to distribute closely related documents.

Thanks!!!

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by Geert-Jan Brits <gb...@gmail.com>.
Have a look at functionqueries.

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery

<http://wiki.apache.org/solr/FunctionQuery>You could for instance use your
regular score and multiply it with RandomValueSource bound between 1.0 and
1.1 for example.
This would at least break ties in a possibly natural looking manner.  (btw:
this would still influence all documents however)

//Geert-Jan

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by Blargy <zm...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
The RandomValueSource class is available as a sort value, but it is
not available as a function. If it was, you could include the function
as part of the relevance but not all of it.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 9:41 AM, blargy <zm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> This sound a little closer to what I want but I don't want fully randomized
> results.
>
> How exactly does this field work? Is it more than just a simple random sort
> (order by rand())? What would be nice is if I could randomize documents
> within a certain score percentage of each other. Is this available?
>
> Thanks
>

> Lance Norskog-2 wrote:
>>
>> Also, there is a 'random' type which generates random numbers. This
>> might help you also.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 7:18 PM, Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> At this point (and for almost 3 years :) field collapsing is a source
>>> patch. You have to check out the Solr trunk from the Apache subversion
>>> server, apply the patch with the 'patch' command, and build the new
>>> Solr with 'ant'.

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by blargy <zm...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.

--
Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by Lance Norskog <go...@gmail.com>.
At this point (and for almost 3 years :) field collapsing is a source
patch. You have to check out the Solr trunk from the Apache subversion
server, apply the patch with the 'patch' command, and build the new
Solr with 'ant'.

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 4:13 PM, blargy <zm...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks but Im not quite show on how to apply the patch. I just use the
> packaged solr-1.4.0.war in my deployment (no compiling, etc). Is there a way
> I can patch the war file?
>
> Any instructions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
>

> Otis Gospodnetic wrote:
>>
>> You'd likely want to get the latest patch and trunk and try applying.
>>
>> Otis
>> ----
>> Sematext :: http://sematext.com/ :: Solr - Lucene - Nutch
>> Hadoop ecosystem search :: http://search-hadoop.com/

Lance Norskog
goksron@gmail.com

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by blargy <zm...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
You'd likely want to get the latest patch and trunk and try applying.

Otis
----

Maybe a better question is... how can I install this and will it work
> with
1.4?

Thanks

--
View this

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by blargy <zm...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by blargy <zm...@hotmail.com>.

Re: Impossible Boost Query?

Posted by Otis Gospodnetic <ot...@yahoo.com>.
Would Field Collapsing from SOLR-236 do the job for you?

Otis
----

I was wondering if this is even possible. I'll try to explain what I'm
> trying
to do to the best of my ability.

Ok, so our site has a bunch
> of products that are sold by any number of
sellers. Currently when I search
> for some product I get back all products
matching that search term but the
> problem is there may be multiple products
sold by the same seller that are
> all closely related, therefore their scores
are related. So basically the
> search ends up with results that are all
closely clumped together by the same
> seller but I would much rather prefer
to distribute these results across
> sellers (given each seller a fair shot to
sell their goods).

Is there
> any way to add some boost query for example that will start
weighing products
> lower when their seller has already been listed a few
times. For example,
> right now I have

Product foo by Seller A
Product foo by Seller
Product foo by Seller A
Product foo by Seller B
Product foo by Seller
Product foo by Seller B
Product foo by Seller C
Product foo by Seller
Product foo by Seller C

where each result is very close in score. I
> would like something like this

Product foo by Seller A
Product foo by
> Seller B