Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org> on 2019/04/16 13:29:27 UTC

Is there value in publishing nightly snapshots?

I noticed recently ...
https://github.com/apache/spark-website/pull/194/files#diff-d95d573366135f01d4fbae2d64522500R466

... that we stopped publishing nightly releases a long while ago. That's fine.

What about turning off the job that builds -SNAPSHOTs of the artifacts
each night? does anyone use that? It's no big deal to leave it on, but
I recall it is always a little bit controversial to publish binaries
from the project that aren't PMC releases (it is allowed if only
something developers would find and understand is not an official
release).

Re: Is there value in publishing nightly snapshots?

Posted by Xiao Li <li...@databricks.com>.
I think the nightly snapshots are pretty useful for Spark engine and Spark
library development. At least, we are frequently using it for testing the
unreleased features and checking the dependency changes.

On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 6:37 AM Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com> wrote:

> we have used it at times to detect any breaking changes, since it allows
> us to run out internal unit tests against spark snapshot binaries
>
> but we can also build these snapshots in-house if you want to turn it off
>
> On Tue, Apr 16, 2019 at 9:29 AM Sean Owen <sr...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> I noticed recently ...
>>
>> https://github.com/apache/spark-website/pull/194/files#diff-d95d573366135f01d4fbae2d64522500R466
>>
>> ... that we stopped publishing nightly releases a long while ago. That's
>> fine.
>>
>> What about turning off the job that builds -SNAPSHOTs of the artifacts
>> each night? does anyone use that? It's no big deal to leave it on, but
>> I recall it is always a little bit controversial to publish binaries
>> from the project that aren't PMC releases (it is allowed if only
>> something developers would find and understand is not an official
>> release).

[image:
https://databricks.com/sparkaisummit/north-america?utm_source=email&utm_medium=signature]

Re: Is there value in publishing nightly snapshots?

Posted by Koert Kuipers <ko...@tresata.com>.