Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Syd Bauman <Sy...@Brown.edu> on 2006/05/04 14:56:29 UTC

cannot recover from "Secure connection truncated"

I am using Subversion to check items in & out of a Sourceforge
repository (thus am using 'https' protocol).

Well over 50% of the time that I am checking out a fresh copy of a
project within our repository (name "tei") or doing some other
largish SVN operation, I get a typical Subversion error:

| svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/tei/!svn/vcc/default'
| svn: REPORT of '/svnroot/tei/!svn/vcc/default':
|      Could not read response body: Secure connection truncated
|      (https://svn.sourceforge.net)

In (almost) all cases, I just re-issue the checkout or other command,
and Subversion picks up where it left off and completes the command.
No problem.

However, I am now (for the first time) trying to execute a largish
(to me :-) merge operation. Whether I specify --dry-run to the 'svn
merge' command or not, the dreaded "secure connection truncated"
problem rears its ugly head. But there are two differences between
this occurrence and what I've noticed during a typical checkout:

a) it happens at the same place, every time, on either of two
   different operating systems (see below), and

b) when I re-issue the command the error occurs again (in the same
   place).

It seems that (b) happens because Subversion is re-checking what has
to be done to complete the merge, and doing so takes as long as
actually merging.

I have read the TOC of the FAQ and found nothing about this problem
at all; I've searched the archives of this list, and found lots of
questions about this problem, but no answers that looked like they
might apply.

Below
-----

OS1 = Mac OS X 10.4.6
client1 = 1.1.4 (r13838), installed via Fink

OS2 = Debian GNU/Linux 2.4.27-2-386
client2 = 1.1.4 (r13838)

Output of 2 attempted 'merge' commands in a row
------ -- - --------- ------- -------- -- - ---
| (838) Opus /Volumes/data/P5 @ 13:29:06 ->svn merge -r 1436:HEAD https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tei/branches/P5/re-org/
| D readme-2005-06.txt
| D readme-0.3.1.xml
| D jaco001d.gif
| D fix_rnc_whitespace.perl
| D odd2htmlp5.xsl.model
| D ChangeLog-2005-10-20.txt
| D guidelines-print.xsl
| D ChangeLog
| D ChangeLog-2006-01-30.txt
| D extract-sch.xsl
| D guidelines.xsl
| D divsplit.xsl
| U Test/Makefile
| A ReleaseNotes
| A ReleaseNotes/readme-2005-06.txt
| A ReleaseNotes/ChangeLog-2005-10-20.txt
| svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/tei/!svn/vcc/default'
| svn: REPORT of '/svnroot/tei/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response body: Secure connection truncated (https://svn.sourceforge.net)
| (839) Opus /Volumes/data/P5 @ 13:31:09 ->svn merge -r 1436:HEAD https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/tei/branches/P5/re-org/
| Skipped missing target: 'readme-2005-06.txt'
| Skipped missing target: 'readme-0.3.1.xml'
| Skipped missing target: 'jaco001d.gif'
| Skipped missing target: 'fix_rnc_whitespace.perl'
| Skipped missing target: 'odd2htmlp5.xsl.model'
| Skipped missing target: 'ChangeLog-2005-10-20.txt'
| Skipped missing target: 'guidelines-print.xsl'
| Skipped missing target: 'ChangeLog'
| Skipped missing target: 'ChangeLog-2006-01-30.txt'
| Skipped missing target: 'extract-sch.xsl'
| Skipped missing target: 'guidelines.xsl'
| Skipped missing target: 'divsplit.xsl'
| G Test/Makefile
| Skipped 'ReleaseNotes'
| A ReleaseNotes/readme-2005-06.txt
| A ReleaseNotes/ChangeLog-2005-10-20.txt
| svn: REPORT request failed on '/svnroot/tei/!svn/vcc/default'
| svn: REPORT of '/svnroot/tei/!svn/vcc/default': Could not read response body: Secure connection truncated (https://svn.sourceforge.net)
| (840) Opus /Volumes/data/P5 @ 13:36:52 ->

P.S. I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure this command is going
     to do what I want -- but if I can't execute it, I can't tell!

Re: cannot recover from "Secure connection truncated"

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/9/06, Syd Bauman <Sy...@brown.edu> wrote:

> So would the following acheive the desired result? (Of replacing the
> contents of trunk with the contents of branch.)
>
> > >    svn commit branch-path/
> > >    svn move https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/path-to-trunk/
> > >             https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/path-to-backup/
> > >    svn move https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/path-to-branch/
> > >             https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/path-to-trunk/

Sounds about right to me.

-garrett

Re: cannot recover from "Secure connection truncated"

Posted by Syd Bauman <Sy...@Brown.edu>.
GR> Honestly, this is the second time I've heard this kind of problem
GR> reported with regard to a repository hosted on sourceforge. It
GR> sure sounds like a problem specific to their setup, and as such
GR> it's kind of difficult for anyone other than sourceforge to debug
GR> it.

Thank you very much for the response. I had submitted a support
tracker item over at Sourceforge (see [1] if interested), with no
reply yet.

So would the following acheive the desired result? (Of replacing the
contents of trunk with the contents of branch.)

> >    svn commit branch-path/
> >    svn move https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/path-to-trunk/
> >             https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/path-to-backup/
> >    svn move https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/path-to-branch/
> >             https://svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/path-to-trunk/

Notes
-----
[1] https://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1481876&group_id=1&atid=

Re: cannot recover from "Secure connection truncated"

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.

Re: Cannot Access Repository using Apache Server

Posted by Garrett Rooney <ro...@electricjellyfish.net>.
On 5/7/06, Deepa Dave <dd...@goldstonetech.com> wrote:
> I am trying to access the repository using Apache server from the client
> machine. I still haven't installed Tortoise SVN completely but I am
> trying to access the repository using the following command and it
> fails:
>  C:\SVN\usr\local\src\SubVersionRepository>svn co
> http://192.168.0.44:80/usr/local/src/SubVersionRepository
> Svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/usr/local/src/SubVersionRepository':
> 405 Method Not Allowed (http://192.168.0.44)
>
> C:\SVN\usr\local\src\SubVersionRepository>svn co
> http://192.168.0.44:80/svn/repos
> Svn: PROPFIND request failed on '/usr/local/src/SubVersionRepository'
> Svn: PROPFIND of '/usr/local/src/SubVersionRepository': 405 Method Not
> Allowed (http://192.168.0.44)
>
> Please advise.

You can get this sort of error if you're going through an http proxy
server that does not allow WebDAV requests (like PROPFIND).

Posted by Jeb <je...@penske.com>.
Status 405: Method Not Allowed. This is usually a mistyped url.
Attempting to send DAV method requests to a non DAV enabled url, or a
non DAV aware script.

Does the url

usr/local/src/SubVersionRepository have appropriate entries in the httpd.conf file for DAV?

Jeb

Posted by Syd Bauman <Sy...@Brown.edu>.

--
 Syd Bauman, EMT-Paramedic
 Senior XML Programmer/Analyst              North American Editor