Posted to users@shindig.apache.org by Shailesh Khare <SK...@saba.com> on 2011/06/08 21:53:37 UTC

Performance issues with Java-Shindig server

Hello all,

I have been working on Java-Shindig server from last couple of months and have done some POCs , particularly for now I am pretty much using  it like GadgetServer, and not using Dataserver at all. We are almost at the end of evaluation process and running some performance tests on shindig, this is where I am getting some weird issues related to performance , I know Shindig has been used heavily at many places so don't except such performance issues so it must be something to do with my shindig setup and that's where I am looking for some help/advices, if we have any than please point me towards documents ,links, blogs around java-shindig productions setup.

Below is summary of my setup and tests.
Machine setup:
Linux box
2GB Heap
512MB Perm
Quite good CPU power

Test 1 (without Shindig):   -  'MyTest.html' , makes direct Ajax calls to services running on the same server to get some data , runs within JBOSS4.2.2.

-          With 200 user load ,

-          Average response time is around 2.5 Secs.
Test 2(with Shindig, trunk version):
 -    'MyTestGadget.xml' , pretty much copy of above html file pasted into gadgets CDATA section, runs within JBOSS4.2.2.

-          With 200 user load

-          Average response time is around 2 Mins.  At server logs I see some 'OutOfMemory' and 'too many open files' errors.

Test 3:

-          Increased Heap Memory to 4GB.

-          File-max is already set to 710342, so no change

-          Repeat of Test2

-          Average response time is around 47 Secs,  No errors in logs now.

I am investigating further to find out couple of answers.

1.)    why shindig needs more memory , 2 GB should be good enough.

2.)    How do I bring down response time , 47 Secs too high.

Thanks,
Shailesh