Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Sameer Maggon <ma...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/10 20:38:59 UTC

Multiple Masters - Solr Replication (1.4)

I have been playing around with replication in Solr 1.4 and I must say that
it's a big "ease of use" improvement over scripts. Though, I have a few
questions about it.

*1. Is there a way to specify multiple master URLs in the slaves? *
I want to make sure I have redundancy, and if one master goes down the
slaves automatically start taking data from the other master. If not, has
anyone tried a load balancer approach where you put the multiple masters
behind the LB and have slaves talk to the LB?
*
2. Is there a plan to add multicast support to Solr Replication?
*If I have ~100 slaves talking to the master over rsync - I see two problems

   a. Network
   b. Master being choked as it's getting requests from 100 machines

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Sameer.
--
http://www.productification.com

Re: Multiple Masters - Solr Replication (1.4)

Posted by Jonathan Haddad <jo...@letsgetnuts.com>.
I'm not sure if this is possible in solr, but could it be done in a
tiered approach, where 10 slaves read from the master, and then 9
slaves read from each of those 10 slaves?  That's 101 boxes...

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 12:38 PM, Sameer Maggon <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been playing around with replication in Solr 1.4 and I must say that
> it's a big "ease of use" improvement over scripts. Though, I have a few
> questions about it.
>
> *1. Is there a way to specify multiple master URLs in the slaves? *
> I want to make sure I have redundancy, and if one master goes down the
> slaves automatically start taking data from the other master. If not, has
> anyone tried a load balancer approach where you put the multiple masters
> behind the LB and have slaves talk to the LB?
> *
> 2. Is there a plan to add multicast support to Solr Replication?
> *If I have ~100 slaves talking to the master over rsync - I see two problems
>
>   a. Network
>   b. Master being choked as it's getting requests from 100 machines
>
> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Sameer.
> --
> http://www.productification.com

--
Jonathan Haddad
http://www.rustyrazorblade.com

Re: Multiple Masters - Solr Replication (1.4)

Posted by Noble Paul നോബിള്‍ नोब्ळ् <no...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:08 AM, Sameer Maggon <ma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have been playing around with replication in Solr 1.4 and I must say that
> it's a big "ease of use" improvement over scripts. Though, I have a few
> questions about it.

> *1. Is there a way to specify multiple master URLs in the slaves? *
> I want to make sure I have redundancy, and if one master goes down the
> slaves automatically start taking data from the other master. If not, has
> anyone tried a load balancer approach where you put the multiple masters
> behind the LB and have slaves talk to the LB?
We thought about it. But did not wish to implement a feature ahead of
time. You can raise a JIRA issue . There are a few semantics issues to
be ironed out as to which server to be hit and when and how shold a
failiver happen.
the loadbalancer approach may work but the slave must only talk to one
master at any given point in time otherwise the replication will fail.

> *
> 2. Is there a plan to add multicast support to Solr Replication?
> *If I have ~100 slaves talking to the master over rsync - I see two problems
>
>   a. Network
>   b. Master being choked as it's getting requests from 100 machines

setup repeater nodes
. setup a few slaves as masters also. and make some slaves replicate
from these slaves instead of the primary master.

> Thoughts?
>
> Thanks,
> Sameer.
> --