Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Ciaran Hanley <ci...@sentenial.ie> on 2004/03/18 18:14:09 UTC

Dynamic Messages

Hey,

Can ActionMessages/ActionErrors be created dynamically or do they always
need to read from a resource file.

I would like a more meaningful message shown when something is added to the
DB, like instead of "Client successfully added" I would like "Joe Bloggs
details have been added". Can this be done using these classes?

Thanks

RE: Dynamic Messages

Posted by Wiebe de Jong <wi...@shaw.ca>.
Messages from your resource file can have parameters.

Resource file:
user.added={0} successfully added

Action:
errors.add(ActionErrors.GLOBAL_ERROR,
  new ActionError("user.added", bean.name));

messages.add(ActionMessages.GLOBAL_MESSAGE,
  new ActionMessage("user.added", bean.name));

You could have as many parameters as you want. For example:
detail.line={0} of {1} was added on {2}