Posted to ojb-user@db.apache.org by Abid Hussain <ab...@abid76.de> on 2006/10/11 18:01:15 UTC

ojb 1.x and number of ojb-users

Hello everybody,

I have two questions which do not concern about the usage of OJB:

1.
On the OJB-homepage it says that the work for OJB 1.x has started in
11/2005 (http://db.apache.org/ojb/news.html).
I just wondered about this, because the last entry on the page is from
12/2005. Are there any updates planned in the close future?

2.
Is there any reliable figures about how many people use OJB?
I'm just asking because when I talk to other developers about
O/R-Mapping they mostly only know Hibernate and I wonder how OJB's
standing is upon developers.

Regards,

Abid

--

Abid Hussain
Mail: abid.hussain@abid76.de

Re: ojb 1.x and number of ojb-users

Posted by Armin Waibel <ar...@apache.org>.
Hi Abid,

Abid Hussain wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I have two questions which do not concern about the usage of OJB:
>
> 1.
> On the OJB-homepage it says that the work for OJB 1.x has started in
> 11/2005 (http://db.apache.org/ojb/news.html).
> I just wondered about this, because the last entry on the page is from
> 12/2005. Are there any updates planned in the close future?

We are only a few active developer and during the past few months we
were concentrated on OJB 1.0.x, thus there was less progress on OJB
1.x/2.0 (and a few weeks ago I first had to merge changes from 1.0.x
with trunk).

The sources in OJB_1_0_RELEASE branch (pre 1.0.5) are stable, only a few
things had to be done (check compatibility with other databases and (if
needed) fix of database specific issues).

> 2.
> Is there any reliable figures about how many people use OJB?
> I'm just asking because when I talk to other developers about
> O/R-Mapping they mostly only know Hibernate and I wonder how OJB's
> standing is upon developers.

Sorry I don't have a OJB download statistic, but here you can find the
number of dev/user-list subscriber (scroll down)
http://people.apache.org/~coar/mlists#db.apache.org
Think this give an impression why "a couple of" developer don't know OJB
;-)
Seriously I think compared with Hibernate OJB is relatively unknown.

regards,
Armin