Posted to user@madlib.apache.org by Frank McQuillan <fm...@pivotal.io> on 2016/04/07 02:18:25 UTC

MADlib quarterly report for IPMC

Below if the MADlib quarterly report sent to be sent to the IPMC.  Please
let us know if you have any additions, subtractions or comments.

-----------------

MADlib

Big Data Machine Learning in SQL for Data Scientists.

MADlib has been incubating since 2015-09-15.

  1. Continue to produce regular Apache (incubating) releases.
  2. Expand the community, increase dev list activity and add new
contributors.
  3. Execute and manage the project according to governance model required
by the "Apache Way”.

Any issues that the Incubator PMC (IPMC) or ASF Board wish/need to be aware
of?

 None

  1. Held three community calls in Q1 2016.  Each call featured a different
member of the Apache MADlib community presenting on a topic of interest to
them:
* Jan 15th - Bayesian Analysis of Binomial Response Models on MPP Databases
(Gautam Muralidhar)
* Feb 16th - An Overview of GWR Analysis of Spatial Data (Chenliang Wang)
  * Mar 16th - MADlib on PostgreSQL and PGXN (AJ Welch)
  2. One new committer has been added to the project (Xiaocheng Tang)
  3. Presentation of Apache MADlib at FOSDEM’16 in Brussels (Frank
McQuillan)
  4. Material technical conversations on dev mailing lists and in the
appropriate JIRAs (e.g., 111 emails on dev@ mailing list in Feb)
  5. Several Google Summer of Code (GSoC) candidates have expressed
interest in working on MADlib projects via dev@ mailing list.

  1. 1st ASF release MADlib v1.9alpha on 3/11/16 which was intended to
clear all potential IP issues in the code base and make it legally ready to
be adopted by the community.
  2. 2nd ASF release MADlib v1.9 is currently in IPMC voting as of this
writing on 4/6/16.  The goal of this 2nd release is general availability of
MADlib v1.9 for community use.
  3. Some features in the latest release:  path functions, support vector
machines, advanced matrix operations, covariance matrix, proportion of
variance for PCA, support for Apache HAWQ (incubating) 2.0.
  4. 15 JIRAs created and 27 resolved in last 30 days.

Date of last release:

  MADlib v1.9alpha on 3/11/16.

When were the last committers or PMC members elected?

  Xiaocheng Tang on 1/14/16.

Re: MADlib quarterly report for IPMC

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.
Awesome report! I've signed off! And now I can review your RC ;-)

Thanks,
Roman.

Posted by Roman Shaposhnik <ro...@shaposhnik.org>.