Posted to users@cloudstack.apache.org by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> on 2014/06/23 19:09:30 UTC

Debian + Cloud-Init

Hi All,

In the past i've used the community supplied scripts over at
https://github.com/shankerbalan/cloudstack-scripts for doing injection of
password / ssh keys.

I'm trying to move to cloud-init to handle this for me however I am having
some issues.

I modified my /etc/cloud/cloud.cfg file to use CloudStack as a datasource:

datasource_list: ['CloudStack']

datasource:

  CloudStack: {}

I also set the following:

disable_root: False

user: root

ssh_pwauth: True

ssh_deletekeys: True

ssh_genkeytypes: ['rsa', 'dsa']

ssh_svcname: ssh

On booting up the machine I see the script run successfully and pull the
metadata down from the VR. The hostname is also set and new ssh keys are
generated.

On attempting to login as root with the password provided on the Cloudstack
UI I am unsuccessful. I'm unsure why.

Anybody got an idea where I'm going wrong?

Thanks,

Ian

Re: Debian + Cloud-Init

Posted by Carlos Reátegui <cr...@gmail.com>.
On Jun 23, 2014, at 4:09 PM, Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie> wrote:

> Hi Carlos,
>
> I'm using 0.7.3-2 from the Debian Wheezy backports repo.
>
> I didn't have any issues acquiring metadata as long as I used
> isc-dhcp-client as the dhcp client (Had issues when using pump).
>
> I believe even with your patch the password on the root account will not be
> set.
Correct.  We share similar launch/user-data scripts for AWS and CloudStack so we use the cloud-init standard public-keys metadata type for enabling VM access and therefore have no need for the CS password service.

Re: Debian + Cloud-Init

Posted by Ian Duffy <ia...@ianduffy.ie>.
Hi Carlos,

Re: Debian + Cloud-Init