Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Łukasz Olek <ol...@go2.pl> on 2002/10/14 18:37:16 UTC

Linking portlets...

Hello!
I'm trying to develop portal with Jetspeed and I'm wondering how to link
from one portlet to another.
Does the portlet entry needs to be in user.psml file, to access it with
$jslink?
I have a meeting/authors tables in my database with one to many
relationship.
I would like to make a portlet displaying a certain meeting with links
to authors portlet.
When you click on the link you get all the information about author.
This should be another portlet.
How to do this?
Thanks
Lukasz Olek

RE: Linking portlets...

Posted by Mark Orciuch <ma...@ngsltd.com>.
Lukasz,

Yes, currently the portlet has to be in current user's psml file. That is a
limitation which I must overcome as well. For now, the closest solution I
have is to create a utility screen template containing the following code:

#set($portlet = $data.getRequest().getParameter("portlet"))
#set($control = $data.getRequest().getParameter("control"))
#if (!$control)
  #set($control = "TitlePortletControl")
#end
$jetspeed.getPortletFromRegistry($!portlet,$!control)

For example, if you named your utility template
"/WEB-INF/templates/vm/screens/html/PortletLoader.vm", then you could
generate your link as follows:

$jslink.setTemplate("PortletLoader").addQueryData("portlet",
"yourPortletName")

You may run into issues if "yourPortletName" has links referring to
resources within the portal. Also, since the portlet will not be part of
your psml, there will be issues with the action icons (close, customize,
maximize, etc) but you can workaround this by specifying a different control
(one with no action icons).

Then, of course, you may add hidden portlets and refer to those by their
js_peid. But currently you have to add these hidden portlets manually.

Powodzenia,

Mark C. Orciuch
Next Generation Solutions, Ltd.
e-Mail: mark_orciuch@ngsltd.com