Posted to dev@qpid.apache.org by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com> on 2014/01/27 21:41:36 UTC

Re: svn commit: r1561740 [1/9] - in /qpid/site: docs/ docs/components/ docs/components/cpp-broker/ docs/components/dispatch-router/ docs/components/java-broker/ docs/components/messaging-api/ docs/components/messenger/ docs/components/protocol-engine/ docs...

Could we make this configurable so that people can choose the view they
prefer?

Posted by Robbie Gemmell <ro...@gmail.com>.
I ask because I mostly preferred it the way it was on my phone and now find
the content quite narrow and overly large, requiring significant scrolling
to access what was previously just quick to hand.

I think we already generally increased the size of the content a little
when we moved to the current design, and coupled with the new restricted
width you now don't really get to see all that much at a time on larger
(but not tablet or even 'phablet') size phones. My phone has a higher
resolution screen that most laptops (or old IPad Minis) used to or still
do, and I hold it closer to my eyes, so I appreciated being able to get a
lot more on the screen at a much smaller than is now possible. Looking at
the old version, even in portrait with the entire front page viewable its
mostly fine to me with the menus being the bits that are too small (but
could be made noticably bigger without changing the space available for
them), and in landscape it was perfect. With the new layout in landscape I
can't see much over half of the 'Messaging built on AMQP' box at the top of
the page when it loads; sitting my phone down, I can read it 5ft away.

Obviously everyone has their own preference, and ours are clearly
different, which is why I thought having some configurability (such as the
typical 'view desktop site' type link) would be nicer than just forcing a
single width. I think I've also mentioned previously that I'd like the
option to make the site wider on desktop browsers as well, albeit for
different reasons :)

Robbie

Posted by Justin Ross <ju...@gmail.com>.