Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org> on 2018/09/23 08:46:29 UTC

Windows Build Environment futures (was: Open Office Contribution)

Welcome George!

This sounds like you made up your mind for a long term volunteer
project, which is awesome.  A big welcome from me. I hope you stay with
us. Your mail sounds like you do not need much help. The recruitment has
the Idea to help people to integrate better, by giving them a dedicated
space to communicate.

Now lets root the discussion in to Dev Mailinglist. Please subscribe
there. Damjan is our awesome contributer for Windows. If you 2 align
that would be awesome. Please use the List, so all can participate.

We currently use MSVC 2008 for all releases, Damjan started to migrate
to MSVC2015. A bigger jump to 2017 is fine for me, but keep in mind that
we are standard wise behind 10 years the current standard. Especially on
Linux we support Distributions, that do not have support for c++11. Also
current conses is to keep Windows XP Compatibility.

At the same time, the migration from Windows 32bit Version to support
64bit has been started. The build currently breaks somewhere. A
continuation would be awesome.

And we are moving the build environment from dmake to gmake. There are
65 modules left. This activity has a huge impact because all platforms
are effected. And according to Damjan, the low fruits have been already
migrated, and the ones left are not easy.

@Damjan, you still would like to migrate then to SCON after gmake, btw?
I would still like to, even I do not count my voice much, because I did
not drive this topic much. :(

Hope those answer you some of your questions, and loop you in roughly
where our status is.

You can try Visual Studio version you like. I do not think MSVS supports
our code. We have some special features build in historically, that are
used only in the project. And we strongly use multilanguage
architecture. So bringing the support to Visual Studio will be also not
easy.

At Least on Eclipse it is very difficult to get the IDE partial working.
I am thinking on extending one IDE, and I am undecided if Eclipse is the
right choice, or maybe netbeans?... Well whatever not your issue. :)

It would be cool if we could establish Windows Visual Studio Suopport or
any other IDE.

All the best

Peter

The MSVC we use

# 2008: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=5023

# 2015: https://www.microsoft.com/de-de/download/details.aspx?id=48145

Re: Other build ideas (was: Re: Windows Build Environment futures

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
On Fri, Oct 5, 2018 at 8:45 PM George Karalis <th...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,

Hi, welcome :)

> Since am new to the project and working on understanding the build process
> this past
> week, I agree with Damjan that the build system needs that overhaul. I
> also agree that
> a MSVC upgrade and a 64-bit windows build, is of high priority. Changing
> the build
> system will take months.
>
> As of the MSVC upgrade I have figured out how the whole configure works
> and I ‘m
> now integrating MSVC++ 14.15 to oowintool script, and trying to integrate
> Windows 10
> SDK to the configure pipeline as well. After that I 'll try to figure out
> the build errors and
> fix everything to a successful build. If and when the upgrade completes,
> we should also
> investigate implementing targets - if there are none - for the build tool.
>
> e.g. To compile for windows XP, we need the Windows XP platform toolset,
> which installs
> Windows 7.1 SDK, among other things and can build for Windows XP using
> MSCV++
> 2017 and run something like: build —all —target=“winXP”.

Don't do that. Once the port to gbuild is complete, the "build" command
will disappear. Also the MSVC information is already stored in environment
variables from set_soenv(.in) -> winenv.set.sh like COM, COMID, CCVER,
CCNUMVER, etc.

> Since I am unfamiliar with UNO, I can’t provide any points there, but I
> agree with that
> separation of concerns, to keep only office functionality at the core of
> the project. Also
> another future idea would be to split - I don’t know if it's possible -
> each application,
> Writer, Calc, Impress etc. in its own separate module, so they can build
> independently
> and, maybe?, debug easier, since someone can work on features on only the
> app he/she
> wants.
>
> As for the build system, after some research, I concluded on three modern
> build pipelines,
> CMake, SCons and Meson. Personally, I am in favour of CMake, with the only
> argument
> that it’s backed by many large companies and that provides a safety for
> the future. The two
> systems are almost identical, SCons is more extensible due to Python, but
> all in all
> it’s just a weight of each build system's pros and cons. Also, how KDE
> switched  <https://lwn.net/Articles/188693/>
> to CMake <https://lwn.net/Articles/188693/> was an interesting read. But,
> I think Damjan knows better about the project, so
> we can have an open discussion about which build system is better for
> OpenOffice.

CMake was already investigated by the original OOo team and found to be
lacking. Unlike CMake's module-at-a-time approach, gbuild and SCons take
the better approach of building a global project-wide list of dependencies
for each and every file, which is deterministic and always correct (unlike
the underspecified/overspecified module dependencies which give
inconsistent build results), and then optimally parallelizing the build at
a file level, instead of the artificial walls between modules limiting
build speed.

> I think that for now we should focus on upgrading our tools, new
> compilers, SDKs, because
> it's easier, it has been a week and I have done some progress already, and
> it will ease
> development a little, but ultimately changing to a modern build system can
> have tremendous
> potential for the project, modern build systems integrate perfect with
> Visual Studio,
> Xcode, working on an IDE it’s always nice 🙂.

Agreed :).

> Kind regards,
> George

Regards
Damjan

Re: Other build ideas

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
At first glance it looks like it wants what we want, but on second
glance it describes the removal of UNO from OpenOffice, and divide the
Monolithic package we have into 3 packages along the layers. I think it
is what Libre Office has already done. But for sure it will give hints
on the issues we might face.

The Idea is to reuse old Architecture design for the SCon and MSVC
migration, but stay in the monolithic package. It is more a move towards
a stronger and better inner architecture, with the goal to be better
able to do maintenance. I do really prefer your Idea on creating an UNO
Project from OpenOffice in the long run when it comes to deviding the
project into smaller Packages. This is a really strong OpenSource move.
It creates opportunities for cooperation with other Projects. This is a
good long term goal.

I only suggest to move along the bottom Layer because i hope for reduced
refactoring work. Also I hope that the risk in steering up something bad
is lower. So we can have a good success while migrating.

Re: Other build ideas

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Re: Other build ideas

Posted by Dave Fisher <da...@comcast.net>.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Other build ideas

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Re: Other build ideas

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Hi all,

Posted by George Karalis <th...@gmail.com>.
Hello everyone,

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Hi Damjan,

Other build ideas (was: Re: Windows Build Environment futures (was: Open Office Contribution))

Posted by Damjan Jovanovic <da...@apache.org>.
Hi

The Path to OpenOffice ;)

Posted by Peter Kovacs <Pe...@Apache.org>.
Hi Aryan,

We are still trying to get 4.2.0 into release shape. Currently we have
to make a 4.1.6 Version. We do not have plans for OpenOffice 5 yet. What
would you like to see in OpenOffice 5?

But if you want to help you can start by learning how to build
OpenOffice. We have a guide here what to do.

https://wiki.openoffice.org/wiki/Documentation/Building_Guide_AOO/Step_by_step

OpenOffice is a very complex program and takes some time to learn how to
do basic things. If you have any Questions. Please ask.

I appreciate if you write what your efforts and successes are so I can
accompany you. Please write to the recruitment mailing list. So others
can also review your progress, and help if needed.

All the best

Peter

Posted by ASP An Aryan Sinha Presentation <si...@gmail.com>.