Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by "Daniel F. Savarese" <df...@savarese.org> on 2003/01/24 00:23:18 UTC

Re: [net] momentum for promotion?

In message <m3...@beholder.brekke.org>, Jeffrey D. Brekke writes:
>I would like to see this interest from users translated into momentum,
>I just don't know how to do the translation.  I think that we left the
>state of net at not having enough developers and not enough unit
>tests.  I do get queries from users sent directly to me and always
>attempt to deflect them to the commons list ( I'm sure Daniel gets
>much more than I ).  There seems a strong user base, but we also need
>developers.

Ditto what Jeff said.

In message <Pi...@umbongo.flamefew.net>, Henr
i Yandell writes:
>For Net, +1. Daniel seems to still be maintaining it informally, but not
>developing on it anymore. Assuming he's okay with a release, I think a 1.0
>[or a version number that matches the latest NetComponent release number +
>1] would be a good thing.

Actually, Jeff Brekke is the lead developer and was completely responsible
for repackaging the source and importing it into commons-sandbox after
the user community voted to move it into the sandbox.  I'm sort
of the assistant developer now, always ready to pounce on bug reports
and fix them, but not prepared to undertake major development initiatives.
Even though we haven't converted enough users into developers, I think the
project may need a 1.0 (or whatever number is appropriate) release build
to make that happen.  My (perhaps flawed) reasoning for saying this is that
the NetComponents archives I make available to prevent Web rot (eventually
will just redirect to Jakarta Commons) are still getting thousands of
downloads a month from my Web site, whereas the text processing/regular
expression archive downloads have declined significantly ever since
jakarta-oro releases became available.

In any case, I'm +1 on a promotion with the condition that unit tests will
be the first order of business before any major development initiative is
undertaken.  i.e., we'll fix bugs but won't apply new functionality patches
until we've established a unit test framework.

daniel

Re: [net] momentum for promotion?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 23 Jan 2003, Daniel F. Savarese <df...@savarese.org> wrote:

> Even though we haven't converted enough users into developers, I
> think the project may need a 1.0 (or whatever number is appropriate)
> release build to make that happen.

Probably yes.

Ant is waiting for a release of commons-net to move all code that
depends on NetComponents over to use commons-net.  Once Ant 1.6
requires commons-net instead of NetComponents, your download numbers
will decline 8-)

FWIW, we are currently working on getting Ant 1.5.2 out of the door (a
matter of a few weeks) and after that I'd be happy to help with
commons-net.

Stefan

Re: [net] momentum for promotion?

Posted by "Jeffrey D. Brekke" <jb...@wi.rr.com>.
jbrekke@wi.rr.com (Jeffrey D. Brekke) writes:

[SNIPPED]

> o A migration document for moving from NetComponents -> Commons/Net
>   ( Should be real simple, just package name changes )
>
> o Move the org.apache.commons.net.ftp.ftp2 package into a proposal directory so it is not in the released jar.

The above two items are completed.  If there are any problems, let me
know but the main project and proposal are building for me ok after a
clean check-out.  The site has been regenerated and redeployed.

Re: [net] momentum for promotion?

Posted by Stephen Colebourne <sc...@btopenworld.com>.
I have some other small requirements for supporting (as opposed to -1 ing )
promotion.

[net] currently contains two packages
o.a.commons.io
o.a.commons.util
These packages need to be renamed to be
o.a.commons.net.io
o.a.commons.net.util

Also, some of the licences in the source files refer to the turbine licence,
not the commons licence. This should be changed.

Stephen

<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>
<ma...@jakarta.apache.org>

Re: [net] momentum for promotion?