Posted to dev@cloudstack.apache.org by Shiva Teja <sh...@gmail.com> on 2013/06/26 23:54:06 UTC

[GSoC] Updates

Hi all,

I made a little progress with my GSoC project("Create a Bootstrap based
UI"). I made basic prototypes with angular.js and backbone.js and I would
like to continue with angular.js. A demo of the prototype with angular.js
is available at http://students.iitmandi.ac.in:20000/#/ . Currently, I am
finishing up reading angular.js docs and refactoring this prototype to
separate them into different modules.

Prototype with angular.js is available at
https://github.com/shivateja/cloudstack-ui/tree/angular
and prototype with backbone.js is at
https://github.com/shivateja/cloudstack-ui/

Regards,
Shiva Teja.

Re: [GSoC] Updates

Posted by Sebastien Goasguen <ru...@gmail.com>.
On 6/27/13 6:56 AM, Shiva Teja wrote:
> Hi Rohit,
>
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 4:42 AM, Rohit Yadav<bh...@apache.org>  wrote:
>

>> - Have search features right from beginning of your work. For ex. implement
>> something to search all fields on a table, make the head of the table
>> sortable. Have Lucene integration, which would be awesome to do searching.
>> A typical Cloud can have hundreds or thousands of instances etc.
>>

> Not sure if Lucene is needed here. It could done on the client side. It is
> a couple of minutes task to add a search feature with angular's filter
> directive. Here's an example from their tutorials(
> http://docs.angularjs.org/tutorial/step_03). Maybe this could just be
> enough. I am not sure about the performance with thousands of instances.
> Will look into it.
>
> I am yet to design the mockups for the final UI. I'll keep all other
> suggestions in mind.
>
> Thanks!
> Shiva Teja.

Shiva, I cloned your UI and pointed it at a production cloud, it works,
that's great.

I think you should first focus on the user apis:
http://cloudstack.apache.org/docs/api/apidocs-4.1/TOC_User.html

Don't implement every api call, but work on the model/views for the UI.

The REST work via flask will most likely not make it to the code base,
so you should have two "UI".
One that uses your REST implementation and one that uses the raw API
calls.  The one that uses raw api calls could make it to the code base.

Once you become more familiar with angular, I would love to see a wiki
entry from you, describing the model and views and how it improves on
the current cloudstack UI code.

-sebastien

Re: [GSoC] Updates

Posted by Shiva Teja <sh...@gmail.com>.
Hi Rohit,

Re: [GSoC] Updates

Posted by Rohit Yadav <bh...@apache.org>.
Good work Shiva. Couple of suggestions;
- Topbar nav. was not smooth for me, I'm bit used to sidebar nav, but
that's just UX part, I maybe wrong.
- Have search features right from beginning of your work. For ex. implement
something to search all fields on a table, make the head of the table
sortable. Have Lucene integration, which would be awesome to do searching.
A typical Cloud can have hundreds or thousands of instances etc.
- Use bootstrap labels/badges to tag states, for. example states of VM,
zones etc.
- I see its responsive, maybe have implement mobile site differently which
bootrap allows you to do using custom css/js. So, same page looks different
on bigger screens and smaller ones and it adapts. For ex. it's
not necessary to show all fields on a mobile device.

Looking forward to more of it.

Cheers.