Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org> on 2016/03/01 10:36:26 UTC

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Brooklyn - CLI

Justin,

On 29 February 2016 at 22:36, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com> wrote:
>> See http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/brooklyn-cli.html <http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/brooklyn-cli.html>
> I notice the code contains MIT and BSD licensed code and crypto code. [1] Was this intended?

MIT/BSD: yes this is intended - they are embedded dependencies, in a
similar way that jquery might be embedded in a web app. (Bundling
dependencies like this, I'm told, is normal for Go 1.5 - Go 1.6 makes
it possible to link to dependencies without bundling and this is
something that the community would like to look into.)

It does appear that the LICENSE file is insufficient in this case so I
will push to get that fixed.

Crypto: the name of the folder is a red herring in this case - it is
SSH related and it contains terminal management code, but does not
actually contain any crypto code.

Thanks for your review.

Richard.

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Brooklyn - CLI

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.
Thanks Craig.  Richard, I would take Craig's answer as authorization to
proceed.

-Alex

Posted by Craig Russell <cr...@oracle.com>.

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Richard Downer <ri...@apache.org>.
Alex, Justin, all,

Thank you for your comments. With your comments in mind, I will make
this statement for the record:

Regarding the subject of the Software Grant Agreement, download link:
https://github.com/brooklyncentral/brooklyn-cli/archive/b8b39e54ecbb7c12f4828783f07bec978a76b7be.zip
SHA1: 5b5ef46c56adfff8ca86cca04694d5abc10ec447
SHA256: 0cfaac11df7075c723bfb982ed5852d790fa195dcfe67c9bbbd545f34df71770

The folder brooklyn-cli-b8b39e54ecbb7c12f4828783f07bec978a76b7be/br/Godeps
is *excluded* from the code grant; this folder contains bundled
dependencies licensed by 3rd parties using the MIT and BSD licenses.

With this folder removed from the ZIP file using the command zip -d
FILENAME.zip brooklyn-cli-b8b39e54ecbb7c12f4828783f07bec978a76b7be/br/Godeps\*,
the hashes become:
SHA1: 91fda2ca20c4b171985e1f5bb545ed8a236123dd
SHA256: 4de28b308ad09f0e5642b4cefdd54b1c91b255fecd00184763a7d260bf8ec12d

I am updating the IP Clearance record with this same statement.

Is this sufficient notice for the record to address your comments?

Thanks!
Richard.

[Sorry for the delay in replying, due to illness]

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>.
Hi,

> Sorry if I'm missing something, but it sounds like Justin found these
> files in the zip referenced by the Grant.

The files are clearly marked as BSD/MIT licensed and who the copyright owner is IMO (but I could be wrong) I don’t think the grant needs to be redone as it’s clear what would be under the ASF license. It would also be relatively easy to remove the files from the zip and resubmit.

Thanks,
Justin

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Brooklyn - CLI

Posted by Alex Harui <ah...@adobe.com>.

On 3/1/16, 1:36 AM, "Richard Downer" <ri...@apache.org> wrote:

>Justin,
>
>On 29 February 2016 at 22:36, Justin Mclean <ju...@classsoftware.com>
>wrote:
>>> See http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/brooklyn-cli.html
>>><http://incubator.apache.org/ip-clearance/brooklyn-cli.html>
>> I notice the code contains MIT and BSD licensed code and crypto code.
>>[1] Was this intended?
>
>MIT/BSD: yes this is intended - they are embedded dependencies, in a
>similar way that jquery might be embedded in a web app. (Bundling
>dependencies like this, I'm told, is normal for Go 1.5 - Go 1.6 makes
>it possible to link to dependencies without bundling and this is
>something that the community would like to look into.)

Sorry if I'm missing something, but it sounds like Justin found these
files in the zip referenced by the Grant.  If these files are dependencies
(not owned by the signers of the grant, no other paperwork authorizing the
grant signers to donate on behalf of the owners, and no intention for the
"home" for future development of these files to be at the ASF), then these
files should not be in the grant.  For sure, Jquery files should never be
in an grant to the ASF (unless the Jquery project decided to donate Jquery
to the ASF).

If there is a lot, you might want to re-do the Exhibit A (new zip and MD5
and update the grant document).  If it is a few, you might want to check
with legal-discuss or get advice from more senior people on this list, but
I would just explicitly list those few files in an email on this list
and/or your dev list so there is permanent record that you are making an
unofficial addendum to the grant and keep on going.

Of course, I could be wrong...
-Alex

Re: [IP CLEARANCE] Apache Brooklyn - CLI

Posted by Justin Mclean <ju...@me.com>.
Hi,

> MIT/BSD: yes this is intended

Thanks all good.

> It does appear that the LICENSE file is insufficient in this case so I
> will push to get that fixed.

Yes part of why I asked, but IMO that can be fixed up after the grant.

> Crypto: the name of the folder is a red herring in this case

No problem.

Thanks,
Justin