Posted to dev@streams.apache.org by Steve Blackmon <sb...@apache.org> on 2016/04/27 22:28:48 UTC

Re: Streams Web Site, Maven Sites, misc Documentation - proposed next steps

All,

I think we are pretty close to pulling all of the work on STREAMS-401 (new web page) together into a pretty slick package.  Thanks for your patience and feedback.

Some new additions include diagrams on the architecture page and within many modules depicting streams components and data flow among them and with third-party systems, a 5-step tutorial to run a useful stream, consistent look-and-feel across all three repos, integrated breadcrumbs, and rudimentary github and twitter integrations.

Feel free to browse these links to see where we’re at.

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-project/index.html

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-examples/index.html

All of the menu link now resolve, or will resolve as soon as everything is promoted.  If you get any Not Available errors that you CAN’T resolve by substituting ‘latest’ for ‘0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT’ in the url, please let me know.

Additionally if you identify any major issues or have any last suggestions please let me know before I kickoff the process to merge the STREAMS-401 branches and promote the site later this week.

Steve Blackmon

sblackmon@apache.org

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 9:48 AM Ate Douma

<
mailto:Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>
> wrote:

+1 to everything below :)

Good stuff Steve!

On 2016-03-01 23:50, Steve Blackmon wrote:

> Following up:

> I took a pass at cleaning up the release markdown files and they now look

> mostly the same as they did under apache cms.

> I also confirmed that site-deploy can write to a sub-directory of

> streams.incubator.apache.org using scm:svn capability.

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html

> Recall that streams-project and streams-examples each publish schema

> artifacts to their maven sites, so maintaining prior versions is important.

> streams-master doesn't currently, but since it's a parent of those other

> two and prior experience has led to believe we're better off using the same

> scheme and setting the streams-master

in the pom to be a sibling of

> streams-project and streams-example rather that publishing it to a

> different URL entirely. This is why the version an artifactId are being

> included in the above url.

> Brings up two issues -

> resolving the latest release and/or snapshot version at any given time

> ensuring a visitor to streams.incubator.apache.org lands on the

> streams-master site for that version

> While symlinks are a viable way to resolving the latest release and/or

> snapshot version while keeping previous release versions around

> i.e. forwarding

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/latest/streams-master/index.html

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html

> they won't help us forward
http://streams.incubator.apache.org
to a

mailto:sblackmon@apache.org

> On Mon, Feb 29, 2016 at 5:19 PM, Steve Blackmon <
mailto:sblackmon@apache.org

> wrote:

>> One thing which I think can 'spice up' the overview page a bit more would

>>> be a

>>> diagram providing some very high-level interaction between data sources

>>> and

mailto:ate@douma.nu

http://people.apache.org/~sblackmon/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html

>>> This looks cool!

>>> I like the new overview and faq pages, definitely more concrete about

>>> Streams.

https://github.com/steveblackmon/incubator-streams-master.git

mailto:ate@douma.nu

httpd
is not the ideal platform for hosting a blog but some other

mailto:commit@streams.incubator.apache.org
does not

http://apache.org/dev/committers.html#mail
we should hold

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.2-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-examples/

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.2-incubating/streams-project/apidocs/index.html

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
/site/0.2-incubating/streams-project/index.html

https://issues.apache.org/jira/issues/?jql=project%20%3D%20STREAMS%20AND%20status%20in%20(Resolved%2C%20Closed)%20AND%20fixVersion%20in%20unreleasedVersions()

Re: Streams Web Site, Maven Sites, misc Documentation - proposed next steps

Posted by Steve Blackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
Thanks Matt, Renato, Ate!

I did squeeze two simple diagrams on the architecture page -

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/architecture.html

Most of the modules have a diagram depicting the components they contain and the types of data each support:

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-project/streams-contrib/streams-provider-instagram/index.html

And each of the examples has an end-to-end data flow diagram:

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-examples/streams-examples-local/twitter-userstream-elasticsearch/index.html

Always open to ideas for improvement, happy to jump on any typos or other problems that turn up.

Cheers

Steve Blackmon

sblackmon@apache.org

On Mon, May 02, 2016 at 10:43 AM Matt Franklin

<
mailto:Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>
> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 29, 2016 at 6:22 PM Steve Blackmon <
mailto:sblackmon@apache.org
> wrote:

The new website is now up at
http://streams.incubator.apache.org
.  It’s not perfect but it’s good enough and way better than it’s ever been.  It’s got a basic connection to Google Analytics - if you’d like to be added to the organization just ask.

This looks great!  I agree with Ate on a diagram or other visually engaging component.

I’m going to put together a blog post about website revamp and everything that there for the project blog at
https://blogs.apache.org/streams/

Hopefully we’ll also be able to tweet it out from @ApacheStreams if the PMC is able to get control of it (WIP)

Steve Blackmon
mailto:sblackmon@apache.org

On Wed, Apr 27, 2016 at 3:28 PM Steve Blackmon

<
mailto:Steve+Blackmon+%3Csblackmon@apache.org%3E

mailto:Ate+Douma+%3Cate@douma.nu%3E
> wrote:

+1 to everything below :)

Good stuff Steve!

On 2016-03-01 23:50, Steve Blackmon wrote:

> Following up:

> I took a pass at cleaning up the release markdown files and they now look

> mostly the same as they did under apache cms.

> I also confirmed that site-deploy can write to a sub-directory of

http://streams.incubator.apache.org
using scm:svn capability.

http://streams.staging.incubator.org

http://httpd

Posted by Matt Franklin <m....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Steve Blackmon <sb...@apache.org>.
The new website is now up at streams.incubator.apache.org.  It’s not perfect but it’s good enough and way better than it’s ever been.  It’s got a basic connection to Google Analytics - if you’d like to be added to the organization just ask.

mailto:Steve Blackmon <sb...@apache.org>
> wrote:

All,

I think we are pretty close to pulling all of the work on STREAMS-401 (new web page) together into a pretty slick package.  Thanks for your patience and feedback.

Some new additions include diagrams on the architecture page and within many modules depicting streams components and data flow among them and with third-party systems, a 5-step tutorial to run a useful stream, consistent look-and-feel across all three repos, integrated breadcrumbs, and rudimentary github and twitter integrations.

Feel free to browse these links to see where we’re at.

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-master/index.html

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-project/index.html

http://streams.incubator.apache.org/site/0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT/streams-examples/index.html

All of the menu link now resolve, or will resolve as soon as everything is promoted.  If you get any Not Available errors that you CAN’T resolve by substituting ‘latest’ for ‘0.3-incubating-SNAPSHOT’ in the url, please let me know.

Additionally if you identify any major issues or have any last suggestions please let me know before I kickoff the process to merge the STREAMS-401 branches and promote the site later this week.

Steve Blackmon

sblackmon@apache.org

On Thu, Mar 03, 2016 at 9:48 AM Ate Douma

<
mailto:Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>
> wrote:

+1 to everything below :)