Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Will Fleming <Wi...@octanner.com> on 2012/04/26 20:31:29 UTC

annoyance: servers file format-- worked before 1.6.11

Should  I log this as a bug?
I made an option setting in the servers file prior to version 1.6.11 and all was fine. Just after upgrade, svn complains about no option being set.

[etldev@odlbods1 ~]$ svn help
svn: /home/etldev/.subversion/servers:153: Option expected
[etldev@odlbods1 ~]$

I removed the leading spaces to the line setting and then it worked
# No neon-debug-mask, so neon debugging is disabled.
# ssl-authority-files = /path/to/CAcert.pem;/path/to/CAcert2.pem
#
# Password / passphrase caching parameters:
# store-passwords = no
store-plaintext-passwords = no
# store-ssl-client-cert-pp = no
# store-ssl-client-cert-pp-plaintext = no

Prior to 1.6.11, there could be leading spaces on that line

[etldev@odlbods1 ~]$ svn --version
svn, version 1.6.11 (r934486)
   compiled Jun  8 2011, 16:22:13

Will Fleming
Developer, Enterprise Application Integration

O.C. Tanner Company
1930 South State Street, Salt Lake City, UT 84115
office 801 493 3175  fax 801 483 8346  mobile 801 201 8647

appreciate great work

octanner.com  |  appreciate is a trademark of O.C. Tanner Company

RE: annoyance: servers file format-- worked before 1.6.11

Posted by Will Fleming <Wi...@octanner.com>.
Stefan,

Thanks for checking that. Bad on my part, it had worked before(admin deleted the executable), although I'm not sure how-- but in checking my other installs of various versions-- 1.6.12, 1.6.17, all have the line without leading space so I guess I won't worry about it. Possibly, I had a very much older version on the box-- maybe a 1.5.x..

Thanks,
Will

On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 12:31:29PM -0600, Will Fleming wrote:
> [etldev@odlbods1 ~]$ svn help
> svn: /home/etldev/.subversion/servers:153: Option expected
> [etldev@odlbods1 ~]$
>
> I removed the leading spaces to the line setting and then it worked
> # No neon-debug-mask, so neon debugging is disabled.
> # ssl-authority-files = /path/to/CAcert.pem;/path/to/CAcert2.pem
> #
> # Password / passphrase caching parameters:
> # store-passwords = no
> store-plaintext-passwords = no
> # store-ssl-client-cert-pp = no
> # store-ssl-client-cert-pp-plaintext = no ....
>
> Prior to 1.6.11, there could be leading spaces on that line

Are you sure about that? I don't have a 1.6.10 release build around but I see the same behaviour with a Subversion 1.5 build.

Note that the parser does this because a leading space is usually used in multi-line configuration statements.
For instance, given an entry such as:

global-ignores = *.o *.lo *.la *.al .libs *.so *.so.[0-9]* *.a *.pyc *.pyo
   *.rej *~ #*# .#* .*.swp .DS_Store

both lines will be merged into one by the config parser. The second line is part of the previous one because it starts with whitespace.

I don't think this is very intuitive myself. Alas, that's how it was designed.

Re: annoyance: servers file format-- worked before 1.6.11

Posted by Stefan Sperling <st...@elego.de>.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.
Will Fleming wrote on Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 14:56:50 -0600:
> Daniel,
>
> I sent the original message with nice yellow hilites etc. in HTML/rich
> text pointing out the pertinent info-- I guess that got stripped down
> to plain text, sorry.

Exactly.

> I'll remember this in future postings. Also

Thanks.

> I have since discovered something amiss in my analysis--- I don't know
> what version I had on the system prior to its re-installation. It was
> working fine, then an admin deleted the executable, upon install (v
> 1.6.11) it had issue with line 153... that's the uncommented line
> (note all others are commented out -- with '#' as the first char) the
> ' store-plaintext-passwords = no' line.

That's even more fun --- the plain-text version didn't have the leading
space.  (You can see below; my mailer doesn't strip leading or trailing
whitespace.)

To the point, though, I wonder what it was considered to be
a continuation of.  Perhaps it was something like

   foo = bar
   # comment
   # comment
    foo2 = bar2

interpreted as

   foo = bar foo2 = bar2

(key 'foo', valud 'bar foo2 = bar2')

(view this emssage as plaintext or as source to get teh right
indentation)

> But also I have noticed other version installations: 1.6.12, and
> 1.6.17 have it with no leading spaces too, so I'm ok leaving it as-is.

Yeah, we're not going to fix 1.6.11 bugs at this point.  Bugs in 1.6.18
would be a hard sell too, unless they affect 1.7.4 or trunk.

> Will

Cheers

Daniel

Posted by Will Fleming <Wi...@octanner.com>.
Daniel,

I sent the original message with nice yellow hilites etc. in HTML/rich text pointing out the pertinent info-- I guess that got stripped down to plain text, sorry. I'll remember this in future postings. Also I have since discovered something amiss in my analysis--- I don't know what version I had on the system prior to its re-installation. It was working fine, then an admin deleted the executable, upon install (v 1.6.11) it had issue with line 153... that's the uncommented line (note all others are commented out -- with '#' as the first char) the ' store-plaintext-passwords = no' line.

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <da...@elego.de>.