Posted to dev@santuario.apache.org by Erwin van der Koogh <vd...@apache.org> on 2004/01/30 09:56:04 UTC

Maven

Hi guys,

I have almost finished the move to Maven (maven.apache.org) of the entire
codebase and website.

Once this run is done I will upload the site to my webserver for people to
take a look at.. it should be up at
http://aalbes.hosting.west.nl/~erwin/xml-security

Maven has some huge advantages.. it's dead-easy to generate a whole bunch
of reports over the code.. metrics, unit tests and unit test coverage being
the most important ones. It's a definate advantage to see those.
Another advantage is that it's a hell of a lot easier to test different
dependencies.

There are 2 problems with it though.. one is that the xdoc dialect is
slightly different that Forrest used, but I converted most of those..
That leaves the much bigger problem of it being next to impossible with the
present directory layout..

To do this properly we would need to move all directories except C into a
directory called java.
This is something we would have wanted to do for a while (it makes a lot of
sense), but are we prepared to do it? Considering CVS has no allowance of
moving files and we would lose the history?..

I think the advantages outweigh the disadvantages, but what are other
people's opinions?

Erwin

Re: Maven

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Erwin van der Koogh wrote:

>> Done :>.  I'm still going, so will just keep adding until you tell me to
>> stop.  (Probably another week or so of changes and then I will be ready
>> to do a beta release of the C++ code.)
>

> I am not telling you to stop :-)

<GRIN>.

Cheers,
	Berin

Re: Maven

Posted by Erwin van der Koogh <vd...@apache.org>.
> Erwin van der Koogh wrote:
>
>>> Also - I have some changes I have to upload sometime soon for the docs
>>> for V1.1 of the C++ library.  All of them are in Forrest format.
>>

>> Go right ahead and upload them.. if we decide to change over to Maven
>> for the website I'll convert them again.. it's less than 10 minutes
>> worth. :)
>>

> Done :>.  I'm still going, so will just keep adding until you tell me to
> stop.  (Probably another week or so of changes and then I will be ready
> to do a beta release of the C++ code.)

I am not telling you to stop :-)

If we decide to switch to Maven and we decide to do everything with Maven,
then we would have to think about migrating the website code.. I feel
fairly strongly about part 1, but not too much about part 2 :-)

I'll put up the docs as soon as possible for a quick overview.

Erwin

Re: Maven

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.

Re: Maven

Posted by Erwin van der Koogh <vd...@apache.org>.
> I get a permission denied on the web server :<.

Yeah.. I had some problems getting it on there.. some issue with my apache
config.. I was going to put it up somewhere else ran into some other
problem and out of time :)
I am away this weekend, but will try to put it up afterwards.

> Out of interest - I thought we had decided to keep Forrest for the web
> site part, at least for the moment?  The overall XML Project is moving
> that way, so we would be moving in a different path.  Not necessarily
> wrong, but I'd be hesitant to to move to something else just for the sake
> of it.

The great thing about Maven is that it's all in one.. We would be able to
get rid of a huge build.xml file, it would be a hell of a lot easier to
change and check dependencies and at last, but not at least, there's a huge
amount of useful plugins to check your sourcecode.

JDepend (metrics), checkstyle (style and problem reporting), unit test
(normal junit), source crossreference (entire hyperlinked source), clover
(coverage testing) etc..

We wouldn't have to use it for the site, but I was just playing around to
see how much work it would be to use it for that as well.

Re: Maven

Posted by Berin Lautenbach <be...@wingsofhermes.org>.
Erwin,