Posted to j-users@xerces.apache.org by Arnaud Le Hors <le...@us.ibm.com> on 2001/02/10 01:16:28 UTC

Re: RESEND: Help needed on not expanding internal entity references

I must say that I don't quite understand what you're really trying to
do. If what you're asking is for character entity references not to be
expanded, the answer is simple: Xerces doesn't support this.
This request keeps coming up and I guess we should try and do something
about it. But I don't know how to support this without any impact on
performance...
--
Arnaud  Le Hors - IBM Cupertino, XML Strategy Group

Re: RESEND: Help needed on not expanding internal entity references

Posted by Libor Kramolis <li...@netbeans.com>.
Arnaud Le Hors wrote:

> I must say that I don't quite understand what you're really trying to
> do. If what you're asking is for character entity references not to be
> expanded, the answer is simple: Xerces doesn't support this.
> This request keeps coming up and I guess we should try and do something
> about it. But I don't know how to support this without any impact on
> performance...

I think it is more than bonus feature. I see that there is a lot of users
which want to know where is character reference used. This feature is very
important to tools which provide tree and textual editing of xml documents.
E.g. when you write some xml document (in text editor), use any tool for
manipulation with this document (action: replace, select, ...) and after
this you want to edit it in text editor again, you want see document with
same style (must be readable - so not replaced all ', ", <, >, & with entity
references etc.).

You are right ... repformance, but do you think that this problem is
unsolvable? I don't think so. We want to help you with this.

Thanks.

Libor