Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com> on 2006/03/01 13:07:28 UTC

[VOTE] Accept HARMONY-57 : Contribution of unit test code for a number of components

All paperwork has been received.  I'll be getting that into SVN today,
but lets get the voting kicked off...

Please vote on acceptance of the donation of ontribution of unit test
code for a number of components :

[ ] +1 Accept
[ ] -1 Don't accept (provide reason)

Vote will run 3 days or until all committers have voted.

Re: [VOTE] Accept HARMONY-57 : Contribution of unit test code for a number of components

Posted by karan malhi <ka...@gmail.com>.
+1

--
Karan Singh

Re: [VOTE] Accept HARMONY-57 : Contribution of unit test code for a number of components

Posted by Davanum Srinivas <da...@gmail.com>.
+1

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Leo Simons wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:50:02AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> can I vote a "blank statement +1" that you can use to move code into SVN?
>> I think that if you would like to make a +1 blanket statement, then
>> we'll count that in the future.
>
> In my mind, in terms of "people that have reviewed what is going on and
> what is going into SVN and that the paperwork is ok", it doesn't count.
> No statement in that case is better.
>
>>> I mean, if we have the paperwork, let's move the code in, whether or not
>>> we end up releasing it will require another vote anyway.
>> However, for awareness, oversight and participation, I think we still
>> should be voting code in.
>
> +1. "I trust Geir got it right" is bad since it creates a dependency on Geir
> and moreover doesn't scale well (and scaling, we need...). However, changing
> to a commit-then-review mode might help, and might scale better.

I understand what you mean but I assume that the "lump" contributions
will stop as work effort converts to be entirely w/in the project.  (And
no "Geir got it right" is the wrong way to go...)

Also, as a podling, post-start code contributions have been the subject
of recent Incubator PMC concern and scrutiny, so lets keep the oversight.

We have a 3 day timeout for these, so if someone missed the vote, it's
ok, we just ensure that there are no vetos and 3 +1s.

geir

Re: [VOTE] Accept HARMONY-57 : Contribution of unit test code for a number of components

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Leo Simons wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:50:02AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
>> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
>>> can I vote a "blank statement +1" that you can use to move code into SVN?
>> I think that if you would like to make a +1 blanket statement, then
>> we'll count that in the future.
>
> In my mind, in terms of "people that have reviewed what is going on and
> what is going into SVN and that the paperwork is ok", it doesn't count.
> No statement in that case is better.
>
>>> I mean, if we have the paperwork, let's move the code in, whether or not
>>> we end up releasing it will require another vote anyway.
>> However, for awareness, oversight and participation, I think we still
>> should be voting code in.
>
> +1. "I trust Geir got it right" is bad since it creates a dependency on Geir
> and moreover doesn't scale well (and scaling, we need...). However, changing
> to a commit-then-review mode might help, and might scale better.

That's my point. "review then commit" is silly, it doesn't work.

we are voting to put stuff in svn, not to get it out as rubberstamped.
if we were to vote about anything that goes in SVN, we wouldn't be able
to do crap.

I don't know about you, but I have no time to check for all those big
chunks of code that get inside the repo... the 'input' filter is only
legal and/or political, not technical, and I have no real oversight on
what Geir does when he says "paperwork is in". But then again, if we had
to challenge in court everyone of Geir's assertions, we would never do
anything.

Therefore my umbrella +1 to get stuff in SVN if the person doing the
paperwork it's a mentor of this project and says it's cool.

Getting stuff out is a different matter entirely.

--
Stefano.

Re: [VOTE] Accept HARMONY-57 : Contribution of unit test code for a number of components

Posted by Leo Simons <ma...@leosimons.com>.
On Thu, Mar 02, 2006 at 09:50:02AM -0500, Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> Stefano Mazzocchi wrote:
> >can I vote a "blank statement +1" that you can use to move code into SVN?
>
> I think that if you would like to make a +1 blanket statement, then
> we'll count that in the future.

In my mind, in terms of "people that have reviewed what is going on and
what is going into SVN and that the paperwork is ok", it doesn't count.
No statement in that case is better.

> >I mean, if we have the paperwork, let's move the code in, whether or not
> >we end up releasing it will require another vote anyway.
>
> However, for awareness, oversight and participation, I think we still
> should be voting code in.

+1. "I trust Geir got it right" is bad since it creates a dependency on Geir
and moreover doesn't scale well (and scaling, we need...). However, changing
to a commit-then-review mode might help, and might scale better.

LSD

Re: [VOTE] Accept HARMONY-57 : Contribution of unit test code for a number of components

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.

[RESULT] Re: [VOTE] Accept HARMONY-57 : Contribution of unit test code for a number of components

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
+1 from geir, tim, richard, dims, stefano, karan, leo, nathan

no dissenting.

Posted by Richard Liang <ri...@gmail.com>.
+1

Richard Liang
China Software Development Lab, IBM

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
+1

Geir Magnusson Jr wrote:
> All paperwork has been received.  I'll be getting that into SVN today,
> but lets get the voting kicked off...
>
> Please vote on acceptance of the donation of ontribution of unit test
> code for a number of components :
>
> [ ] +1 Accept
> [ ] -1 Don't accept (provide reason)
>
> Vote will run 3 days or until all committers have voted.

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [VOTE] Accept HARMONY-57 : Contribution of unit test code for a number of components

Posted by Geir Magnusson Jr <ge...@pobox.com>.
if there's something interesting to discuss, can we get it out of the
vote thread?  Please?

geir

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@kc.rr.com>.

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
George Harley wrote:
> Paulex Yang wrote:
>> Nathan,
>>
>> Seems currently in SVN, the test cases are distributed to the various
>> classlib modules. How about we create a project named as
>> common/base/whatever to contain the common/base/whatever
>> utilities/tests which are very frequently used by many modules?
>
> See <Harmony-Unit-Tests.zip extract dir>/Harmony/Harmony_Tests
Ah, that's exactly what I mean. Thx a lot.

Posted by George Harley <ge...@googlemail.com>.

Posted by Paulex Yang <pa...@gmail.com>.
Nathan,