Posted to fop-users@xmlgraphics.apache.org by Sascha Schmidt <pa...@northbit.de> on 2006/03/17 11:42:55 UTC

Optional hyphens in XSL-FO

Hi FOPies,

I'm wondering if optional hyphen (like "= in Latex) are included in the
XSL-FO specification, I couldn't find anything. :-( My product is converting
RTF into XSL-FO and since RTF can contain optional hyphens, we want to keep
them in XSL-FO (if hyphenation is set to true). I know that this question is
not really FOP related, but maybe somebody of you has an idea?

Thanks and cheers,

Sascha

Re: Optional hyphens in XSL-FO

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
Interesting read. Thanks for the link. I haven't gone into all detail but
since XSL 1.0 has normative references into Unicode 3.0 and does not
discuss "soft hyphen" directly I guess we need to follow the Unicode
definition. Has anybody ever checked what other FO implementations do
with "soft hyphen"?

On 17.03.2006 19:26:19 Peter B. West wrote:
> Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> > I think what you mean is "soft hyphen" (U+00AD) in Unicode (&shy; in
> > HTML) [1]. The problem is that this character is not yet treated as it
> > should be in Apache FOP. TextLayoutManager would need to be extended to
> > handle it. Basically, the same Knuth elements need to be generated as
> > for the hyphenation points and the character needs to be recognized as
> > break character. Shouldn't be too hard to implement. Anyone want to try?
> >
> > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen_%28punctuation%29
>
> Hmmm....
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/shy.html
>
> > On 17.03.2006 11:42:55 Sascha Schmidt wrote:
> >
> >>Hi FOPies,
> >>
> >>I'm wondering if optional hyphen (like "= in Latex) are included in the
> >>XSL-FO specification, I couldn't find anything. :-( My product is converting
> >>RTF into XSL-FO and since RTF can contain optional hyphens, we want to keep
> >>them in XSL-FO (if hyphenation is set to true). I know that this question is
> >>not really FOP related, but maybe somebody of you has an idea?
> >>
> >>Thanks and cheers,
> >>Sascha

Jeremias Maerki

Re: Optional hyphens in XSL-FO

Posted by "Peter B. West" <li...@pbw.id.au>.
Jeremias Maerki wrote:
> I think what you mean is "soft hyphen" (U+00AD) in Unicode (&shy; in
> HTML) [1]. The problem is that this character is not yet treated as it
> should be in Apache FOP. TextLayoutManager would need to be extended to
> handle it. Basically, the same Knuth elements need to be generated as
> for the hyphenation points and the character needs to be recognized as
> break character. Shouldn't be too hard to implement. Anyone want to try?
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen_%28punctuation%29

Hmmm....
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/shy.html

> On 17.03.2006 11:42:55 Sascha Schmidt wrote:
>
>>Hi FOPies,
>>
>>I'm wondering if optional hyphen (like "= in Latex) are included in the
>>XSL-FO specification, I couldn't find anything. :-( My product is converting
>>RTF into XSL-FO and since RTF can contain optional hyphens, we want to keep
>>them in XSL-FO (if hyphenation is set to true). I know that this question is
>>not really FOP related, but maybe somebody of you has an idea?
>>
>>Thanks and cheers,
>>Sascha

Peter
--
Peter B. West <http://cv.pbw.id.au/>
Folio <http://defoe.sourceforge.net/folio/>

RE: Optional hyphens in XSL-FO

Posted by Sascha Schmidt <pa...@northbit.de>.
That's it. :-) Thank you Jeremias! Unfortunately I don't have time at the
moment to implement it in FOP, but maybe later.

Thanks again,
Sascha

Posted by Jeremias Maerki <de...@jeremias-maerki.ch>.
I think what you mean is "soft hyphen" (U+00AD) in Unicode (&shy; in
HTML) [1]. The problem is that this character is not yet treated as it
should be in Apache FOP. TextLayoutManager would need to be extended to
handle it. Basically, the same Knuth elements need to be generated as
for the hyphenation points and the character needs to be recognized as
break character. Shouldn't be too hard to implement. Anyone want to try?

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyphen_%28punctuation%29

On 17.03.2006 11:42:55 Sascha Schmidt wrote:
> Hi FOPies,
>
> I'm wondering if optional hyphen (like "= in Latex) are included in the
> XSL-FO specification, I couldn't find anything. :-( My product is converting
> RTF into XSL-FO and since RTF can contain optional hyphens, we want to keep
> them in XSL-FO (if hyphenation is set to true). I know that this question is
> not really FOP related, but maybe somebody of you has an idea?
>
> Thanks and cheers,
> Sascha

Jeremias Maerki