Posted to dev@shindig.apache.org by Dan Dumont <dd...@us.ibm.com> on 2012/02/01 15:04:38 UTC

Can I use open source code from other software products?

What processes should I follow if I want to use some (reworked snippets)
of code from another software project like Dojo for inclusion in a shindig
feature?

Dojo's code can be taken under the BSD license so I assume it's safe for
inclusion here.  Is that correct? (http://dojotoolkit.org/license )
Should I be maintaining any comments or include any attribution for the
parts I want to borrow? (I mean legally, cause I will want to reference
the origin of the code anyway)

I'm not looking to borrow whole files.  Is it acceptable to include this
in Shindig?

Re: Can I use open source code from other software products?

Posted by Ate Douma <at...@douma.nu>.
For the example of including Dojo code, as it is BSD licensed, the only
requirement is to make sure their BSD license (and copyright statement) is
appended to the NOTICE file of every release archive containing this usage,
directly or embedded in a dependency, *and* the root /LICENSE file.

Posted by Paul Lindner <li...@inuus.com>.

--
Paul Lindner -- lindner@inuus.com -- profiles.google.com/pmlindner

Re: Can I use open source code from other software products?

Posted by Thomas Koch <th...@koch.ro>.
Dan Dumont:
> What processes should I follow if I want to use some (reworked snippets)
> of code from another software project like Dojo for inclusion in a shindig
> feature?
Hi Dan,

just FYI, your question triggered me to add another hint to my collection of
hints for upstream developers who'd like to help distributions package their
project:

http://wiki.debian.org/Java/UpstreamHints#Avoid_convenience_copies_of_code

It's a _wiki_ page in progress.

Best regards,