Posted to dev@tomcat.apache.org by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> on 2013/12/17 12:32:20 UTC

[VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC8

The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 8 is now available
for voting.

Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
- Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
- Refactor resource handling for the class loader
- Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
- Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
  tracking
- Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
- Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
- More consistent handling of XML validation options
- Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
- Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
- Performance improvements
- Numerous bug fixes

It can be obtained from:
https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC8/
The Maven staging repo is:
https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-052/
The svn tag is:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC8/

The proposed 8.0.0-RC8 release is:
[ ] Broken - do not release
[ ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC8 alpha

Cheers,

Mark

Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC8

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
On 17/12/2013 14:27, Daniel Mikusa wrote:
> On Dec 17, 2013, at 6:32 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 8 is now available
>> for voting.
>>
>> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
>> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
>> - Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
>> - Refactor resource handling for the class loader
>> - Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
>> - Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
>>  tracking
>> - Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
>> - Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
>> - More consistent handling of XML validation options
>> - Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
>> - Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
>> - Performance improvements
>> - Numerous bug fixes
>>
>> It can be obtained from:
>> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC8/
>> The Maven staging repo is:
>> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-052/
>> The svn tag is:
>> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC8/
>>
>> The proposed 8.0.0-RC8 release is:
>> [ ] Broken - do not release
>> [ ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC8 alpha
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Mark
>
> I'm seeing the following error when running with a security manager enabled.
>
> $ cat logs/catalina.out
> java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint$PrivilegedSetTccl
> 	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:366)
> 	at java.net.URLClassLoader$1.run(URLClassLoader.java:355)
> 	at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:354)
> 	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:425)
> 	at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(ClassLoader.java:358)
> 	at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityClassLoad.loadTomcatPackage(SecurityClassLoad.java:283)
> 	at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityClassLoad.securityClassLoad(SecurityClassLoad.java:49)
> 	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:261)
> 	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:456)
>
> Steps to reproduce:
>
>   1.) Download and unzip.
>   2.) ./bin/startup.sh -security
>   3.) cat logs/catalina.out

I know what that is. The fix is easy. RC9 coming up.

Posted by Daniel Mikusa <dm...@gopivotal.com>.
On Dec 17, 2013, at 6:32 AM, Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org> wrote:

> The proposed Apache Tomcat 8.0.0 release candidate 8 is now available
> for voting.
>
> Given this is a release candidate I am working on the basis that it is
> equivalent to an alpha. The main changes since RC5 are:
> - Better handling of generic types in the WebSocket 1.0 implementation
> - Refactor resource handling for the class loader
> - Add Cobertura support to the unit tests
> - Remove anti-Jar locking feature and replace it with open stream
>  tracking
> - Update to a post Commons Pool 2.0 release snapshot
> - Complete refactoring of TLD handling including caching of parsed TLDs
> - More consistent handling of XML validation options
> - Much more detailed visibility of DBCP connections pools in JMX
> - Better organisation of JMX beans in the default JConsole view
> - Performance improvements
> - Numerous bug fixes
>
> It can be obtained from:
> https://dist.apache.org/repos/dist/dev/tomcat/tomcat-8/v8.0.0-RC8/
> The Maven staging repo is:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapachetomcat-052/
> The svn tag is:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/tomcat/tags/TOMCAT_8_0_0_RC8/
>
> The proposed 8.0.0-RC8 release is:
> [ ] Broken - do not release
> [ ] Alpha - go ahead and release as 8.0.0-RC8 alpha
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

I'm seeing the following error when running with a security manager enabled.

$ cat logs/catalina.out
java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.tomcat.util.net.AbstractEndpoint$PrivilegedSetTccl
	at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityClassLoad.loadTomcatPackage(SecurityClassLoad.java:283)
	at org.apache.catalina.security.SecurityClassLoad.securityClassLoad(SecurityClassLoad.java:49)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.init(Bootstrap.java:261)
	at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:456)

Steps to reproduce:

  1.) Download and unzip.
  2.) ./bin/startup.sh -security
  3.) cat logs/catalina.out

Dan

[VOTE][CANCELLED] Release Apache Tomcat 8.0.0-RC8

Posted by Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>.
Vote cancelled due to the issue when running under a security manager.

RC9 on the way.

Mark