Posted to dev@reef.apache.org by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com> on 2015/08/03 14:17:25 UTC

deprecated code

Hi,

It looks like it's too much work for a release manager to handle deprecated
code.
It seems to be natural for one who added @Deprecated (or did work on the
part) to handle the task. :)
Thought?

-Gon

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: deprecated code

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2015-08-03 08:30, Markus Weimer wrote:
> Shall we add these two rules to the contributor guide?

I just did:

https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/REEF/Coding+Guidelines

Please have a look and improve the language, if you can :-)

Markus

RE: deprecated code

Posted by "Julia Wang (QIUHE)" <Qi...@microsoft.com>.
The document looks good.

Regarding "Make sure that all current uses of that API in REEF have either been moved to the new API or been deprecated as well.", for some bigger changes, our code especially test code may use deprecated API, if we are not able to remove the deprecated API usage at once, we need to:
*File JIRAs for all the code in REEF that uses the deprecated API and link those JIRAs to a main JIRA regarding the API deprecation
*Be responsible for the follow up of those JIRAS.

Thanks,
Julia

Posted by Brian Cho <ch...@gmail.com>.

Re: deprecated code

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: deprecated code

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Re: deprecated code

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: deprecated code

Posted by Byung-Gon Chun <bg...@gmail.com>.
The two rules are good.

--
Byung-Gon Chun

Re: deprecated code

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.

Re: deprecated code

Posted by Brian Cho <ch...@gmail.com>.
Yes that makes sense.
I'd like to suggest another guideline as well: the author who deprecates needs to check that all usage in REEF of the method/class is either removed or itself part of a deprecated method/class.
Thanks,Brian

Posted by Markus Weimer <ma...@weimo.de>.
On 2015-08-03 05:17, Byung-Gon Chun wrote:
> It looks like it's too much work for a release manager to handle deprecated
> code.

Agreed.