Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Simon Spero <se...@tipper.oit.unc.edu> on 1995/03/21 19:28:57 UTC

Re: change LF to CRLF ?

On Tue, 21 Mar 1995, Rob Hartill wrote:

> > Rob wrote:
> It's certainly our job to ensure that apache conforms to the spec
> correctly, it is less obvious whether the responsibility of the
> server extends to inforcing standards on external scripts. If you
> think it does, then why aren't we rejecting the cgi headers and
> thus incouraging cgi writers to conform (*)? is there anything in the
> cgi spec which says servers should be liberal with what they accept ?

It's morally dubious to enforce the restriction when the nph- hack
is used, and there's no real-world win from adding cr-lf in the other
cases; I don't see this as being a real killer issue.

Because my object model has to support NG as well as 1.0, I parse and
regenerate the headers anyway, so I don't get the choice, but for a pure
1.0 back-end, I'd say caveat scriptor.

Simon