Posted to user@commons.apache.org by Karl Ostmo <ko...@gmail.com> on 2013/12/30 01:07:16 UTC

[vfs] Lifecycle of custom Provider for squashfs

Hi,
I would like to make access to the contents of a squashfs filesystem
transparent through the Commons VFS as currently can be done with .tar and
.zip.  For instance, I might access a URI like this:

squashfs:file:///tmp/some-archive.squashfs!/path/inside/foo.txt

I have so far implemented simple methods to mount and unmount the .squashfs
file in a temporary directory, but am unsure of the most direct path to
integrate those methods into the Provider lifecycle.

I happened across the Capabilities.DISPATCHER constant.  I'm not sure of
its purpose, but might there be a "lightweight" technique to translate
original URI paths for the squashfs inner contents to the mounted temporary
directory?  Then I would need to know which "hooks" are available to
trigger the mounting and cleanup (unmounting) of the .squashfs file.

Thanks,
Karl