Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Helge Preuss <sc...@hyperspace-travel.de> on 2008/01/29 19:45:28 UTC

Updating repository after restore from backup

Hello.

I've lost a subversion repository in a hard disk crash. While I have a
backup, several revisions are not available, because they were committed
between the last backup and the crash.

I wonder how I should go about recommitting the current state to the
repository. Current versions are available on clients. I recognize that
the revisions between the backup and the current state are lost, but I
need to get the repository up to date.

Thanks for anything,

Helge

Re: Updating repository after restore from backup

Posted by Helge Preuss <sc...@hyperspace-travel.de>.
Thanks John,
> Move the existing WC out of the way and check out HEAD from the
> reconstituted repository to a new WC.  Copy the files from the old WC
> into the new WC and commit them.  You lose intervening history.
>
> If you have different people at different revs (i.e. Tom was up to
> date but Sue hadn't run update in a while), you may be able to get
> more history by groveling through their working copies for
> intermediate revisions.  This would be much harder to do, so I'm not
> going to describe it at this time, unless it was vital.
I'll settle for the easy way - committing the end result without the
history.

Posted by John Peacock <jo...@havurah-software.org>.
Helge Preuss wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I've lost a subversion repository in a hard disk crash. While I have a
> backup, several revisions are not available, because they were committed
> between the last backup and the crash.

Sorry to hear that.  You may be interested in reading this chapter of
the book:

	http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.4/svn.reposadmin.maint.html

about setting up a sync or automatic hotbackup in your post-commit script.

> I wonder how I should go about recommitting the current state to the
> repository. Current versions are available on clients. I recognize that
> the revisions between the backup and the current state are lost, but I
> need to get the repository up to date.

Move the existing WC out of the way and check out HEAD from the
reconstituted repository to a new WC.  Copy the files from the old WC
into the new WC and commit them.  You lose intervening history.

If you have different people at different revs (i.e. Tom was up to date
but Sue hadn't run update in a while), you may be able to get more
history by groveling through their working copies for intermediate
revisions.  This would be much harder to do, so I'm not going to
describe it at this time, unless it was vital.

John