Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by di...@multitask.com.au on 2003/06/27 09:19:02 UTC

New 'reactor' plugin

I've just added this plugin as it has come in handy when working with
multiple projects in my day job.

I haven't yet add the site aggregation I was hoping to have done by now.

The plan is to allow for multiple strategies for implementing site
aggregation:
1) independent sites, ala db.apache.org and subprojects with templated
navigation
2) aggregated site where site docs are copied to
masterProject/target/docs/<subprojectName> at completion
3) custom aggregation

If anyone wants to help, let me know....
--
dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au

Re: New 'reactor' plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 08:55, Rafal Krzewski wrote:
> Jason van Zyl wrote:
> > On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 03:19, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> >
> >>I've just added this plugin as it has come in handy when working with
> >>multiple projects in my day job.
> >

> > How is this different than the standard reactor? Please don't name it
> > the reactor as having two entities with the same name will be confusing.
>
> I don't have any real experience with using reactor, but I imagine that
> you need to put some jelly markup into your maven.xml file to use the
> <reactor> tag. I see this plugin as an attempt to capture the common
> use cases and make that jelly markup reusable.
>
> It will also provide support for generated site aggregation, which
> definetely is added value, and is related to reactor more than to
> site/xdoc, so I think it should go a plugin of it's own.
>
> I admit that having reactor tag (backed by reactor bean) and reactor
> plugin may be confusing. Still I don't see any compelling alternative.

How about reactortools possibly? Or something that denotes the use of
the reactor and not reactor itself?

> R.

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: New 'reactor' plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.
On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 08:36, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> I'm open to name changes here, but lets get some consensus.
>
> I personally favour reactortools, but it's long winded, like multiproject.
> Since the reactor is designed to do multiproject builds, maybe that makes
> more sense.
>
> ok, so now I'm leaning towards multiproject. Any objections?

Nope.

> --
> dIon Gillard, Multitask Consulting
> Blog:      http://blogs.codehaus.org/people/dion/
> Work:      http://www.multitask.com.au
>

> Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com> wrote on 27/06/2003
> 11:21:50 PM:
>

> > Rafal Krzewski wrote:
> >
> > > I admit that having reactor tag (backed by reactor bean) and reactor
> > > plugin may be confusing. Still I don't see any compelling alternative.
> > >

> > How about giving it a different name that new users would recognize? The
>
> > 'reactor' is something people only learn about by reading through the
> > manual[1] or asking on the mailing lists. The name just isn't
> > recognizable as doing what it does.
> >
> > Something like 'multiproject:build' is a bit more obvious than
> > 'reactor:build' for example. Some other example names - mainly taken
> > from what people use before they know about the reactor, or when
> > describing the reactor:
> >
> > subprojects:build, subprojects:site [2]
> > master:build, master:site
> > masterproject:build, masterproject:site
> > mainproject:build, mainproject:site
> > aggregate:build, aggregate:site [3]
> >
> > Just a suggestion.
> >
> > -Baz
> >
> > [1] I know, I know, RTFM...
> > [2] this is the one that makes most sense to me
> > [3] the 'reactor' concept is called an aggregate build in the GNU make
> > manual, I dont think the name is very clear though.
> >

> > Privacy and Confidentiality Notice

> > The information contained in this E-Mail message is intended only
> > for the person or persons to whom it is addressed.  Such information
> > is confidential and privileged and no mistake in transmission is
> > intended to waive or compromise such privilege.  If you have
> > received it in error, please destroy it and notify us on the
> > telephone number printed above.  If you do not receive complete and
> > legible copies, please telephone us immediately. Any opinions
> > expressed herein including attachments are those of the author only.
> > i-documentsystems Ltd. does not accept responsibility for the
> > accuracy or completeness of the information provided or for any
> > changes to this Email, however made, after it was sent. (Please note
> > that it is your responsibility to scan this message for viruses).

jvz.

Jason van Zyl
jason@zenplex.com
http://tambora.zenplex.org

Re: New 'reactor' plugin

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.

Re: New 'reactor' plugin

Posted by Brian Ewins <Br...@i-documentsystems.com>.

Re: New 'reactor' plugin

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.
Jason van Zyl wrote:
> On Fri, 2003-06-27 at 03:19, dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
>
>>I've just added this plugin as it has come in handy when working with
>>multiple projects in my day job.
>

> How is this different than the standard reactor? Please don't name it
> the reactor as having two entities with the same name will be confusing.

I don't have any real experience with using reactor, but I imagine that
you need to put some jelly markup into your maven.xml file to use the
<reactor> tag. I see this plugin as an attempt to capture the common
use cases and make that jelly markup reusable.

It will also provide support for generated site aggregation, which
definetely is added value, and is related to reactor more than to
site/xdoc, so I think it should go a plugin of it's own.

I admit that having reactor tag (backed by reactor bean) and reactor
plugin may be confusing. Still I don't see any compelling alternative.

R.

Re: New 'reactor' plugin

Posted by di...@multitask.com.au.
This is a plugin with properties to help use the standard reactor.

It means that using the standard reactor doesn't have to involve writing
jelly in maven.xml.

Re: New 'reactor' plugin

Posted by Jason van Zyl <ja...@zenplex.com>.

Re: New 'reactor' plugin

Posted by Rafal Krzewski <Ra...@caltha.pl>.
dion@multitask.com.au wrote:
> I've just added this plugin as it has come in handy when working with
> multiple projects in my day job.
>
> I haven't yet add the site aggregation I was hoping to have done by now.
>
> The plan is to allow for multiple strategies for implementing site
> aggregation:
> 1) independent sites, ala db.apache.org and subprojects with templated
> navigation
> 2) aggregated site where site docs are copied to
> masterProject/target/docs/<subprojectName> at completion
> 3) custom aggregation
>
> If anyone wants to help, let me know....

I'll be needing to do site aggregations and coordinated builds of a few
projects pretty soon, so I'll definetely try your plugin. You can count
me in for testing.

R.