Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Wendy Smoak <We...@asu.edu> on 2003/04/09 18:02:09 UTC

RE: Custom validation method returns false but doesn't cause an e rror

Gareth wrote:
> I haven't actually tried to write a custin validator before but I think
> struts checks the ActionErrors object to see if its empty or null, to
> ascertain if an error has happened.  I think the return value just gets
> ignored.

Sure enough...

RequestProcessor.java:
 // Call the form bean's validation method
 if (log.isDebugEnabled()) {
    log.debug(" Validating input form properties");
 }
 ActionErrors errors = form.validate(mapping, request);
 if ((errors == null) || errors.isEmpty()) {
      if (log.isTraceEnabled()) {
         log.trace("  No errors detected, accepting input");
      }
    return (true);
  }

I found an example here:
http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2002/12/11/jakartastruts.html?page=last
It's also out of date, it uses ValidatorUtil rather than Resources.

Thanks for the tip, it's working now!

--
Wendy Smoak
Applications Systems Analyst, Sr.