Posted to user@turbine.apache.org by Humberto Hernandez Torres <hh...@itweb.com.mx> on 2003/02/17 17:29:28 UTC

RE: Could someone explain the security service and the DB schema a little further?

Users , Roles and Permissions are easy to understand.

I think Groups are not as evident. Groups are not really groups of Users as
you may think. Groups are whatever you want them to be depending on your
problem domain. Examples:

Ex 1 - You have system where you manage several branch offices. In each
branch you have a branch manager. You would make every branch a Group and
"Manager" is a role. This way a User has the Role of Manager in a Branch
(Group) but it is not a Manager in other branches.

Ex 2 - You have a virtual store that sells pets. You have a cat department,
a dog department, a snakes department. I fevery department is group the
category manager (role) for each departament is a different person. Thus
Juan is "Category Manager" for dogs and cats but Salma is "Category Manager"
for snakes. A user can have a role but only in selected departments. If you
want the user to have the role in every department you can by convention
assign it to the group "Global".

I hope this clarifies it.

--
  Humberto

Posted by Rodrigo Reyes <ro...@instaservi.com>.
Thanx. We get it now. Since we are already talking about this, do you know
which objects do I have to implement if I would like to have a security
service which is Torque independent? I would like to create a JDBC Security
Service for Turbine. Any idea?

Rodrigo