Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Alan Risius <al...@risius.plus.com> on 2014/08/04 15:08:14 UTC

Word Wrap problem

I am having a problem with Word Wrap in the spreadsheet section of Open
Office.

  In Excel every line is centred within a cell (when Horiz. Centre and
Vert. Middle are selected in the alignment section) when using Word
Wrap, but in Open Office there is no such symmetry.

Am I doing something wrong?

Alan Risius

Re: Word Wrap problem

Posted by Brian Barker <b....@btinternet.com>.
At 14:08 04/08/2014 +0100, Alan Risius wrote:
>I am having a problem with Word Wrap in the spreadsheet section of
>Open Office. In Excel every line is centred within a cell (when
>Horiz. Centre and Vert. Middle are selected in the alignment
>section) when using Word Wrap, but in Open Office there is no such
>symmetry. Am I doing something wrong?

It seems that there is an interesting difference between Microsoft
Excel and OpenOffice Calc in this respect. The correct way to break
lines within a cell is to insert a line break, which you do in Calc
using Ctrl+Enter (or in Excel using Alt+Enter, it seems). If you do
it this way, the systems are compatible.

You may instead be tempted to control line breaking by entering
multiple spaces between parts of the text. That would be unfortunate
and rather like using multiple empty paragraphs instead of the
correct page break to move to a new page in a word processor. If you
do this, Excel notices the spaces in deciding where to divide the
lines but then ignores them in centring the text on each line. Calc,
on the other hand, respects the spaces in both senses. So you can use
this less than ideal technique in Excel but are required to smarten
up and do things according to the book in Calc.

I trust this helps.

Brian Barker